Chapter 7

Thalia's POV
We sat and talked for a while. I explained about what happened while he was unconscious and he told me about the dreams he'd had. There was also a bit of kissing involved. What can I say? There was nothing stopping us here in Lothlórien. Suddenly the door opened. Artemis and Haldir had come back. I noticed that both of them had slightly flushed cheeks.
"What were you two doing all this time?" I enquired.
"We were..." Artemis hesitated. Her cheeks reddened even more. Then she changed the subject. "Well, what were you doing then?" Without waiting for an answer, she looked at Legolas and threw her arms around him. Legolas looked surprised, but he immediately embraced her back. Haldir and I looked on and laughed with joy and relief. At times like these, you couldn't help but believe that everything was going to work out, somehow. Though I was still banished and Legolas was still weak, at that moment the world seemed perfect.

The perfect silence was shattered by a loud horn. Artemis and Haldir, having heard it many times before, sprang to their feet as one.
"What's that?" I asked.
"Orc pack," Haldir said grimly, listening to the pattern of horn sounds. "Northeast border, not very large."
"You two stay here," Artemis added, already at the door. "Thalia, look after Legolas."
"Legolas, look after Thalia," Haldir joked. "Let's go, Artie." The two of them ran out the door and down a nearby staircase.

Two hours later, we heard the horn that Legolas told me signalled triumph.
"Artemis and Haldir should be back any minute now," he observed. I got up and looked out the door. I saw them coming up the stairs. Artemis was leaning on Haldir and limping. Blood soaked her left trouser leg, just above the knee. As they drew closer, I saw that there was an Orc throwing knife still embedded in her flesh.
"What happened?" I asked when they got within earshot.
"Last Orc alive got her. Needless to say, he isn't anymore," Haldir explained. Artemis' face was pale and Haldir wasn't able to support her fully, so I grabbed her arm and helped her into the ward. Haldir lowered her down so she was sitting, leaning against the wall, where she promptly passed out (probably from blood loss). He retold the situation to a concerned Legolas while I sat down beside Artemis and tried to figure out where to start. I pulled her boot off, cut the fabric of her trousers out of the way and prepared my tools. I knew I would have to work fast once the knife was out so it was crucial to be ready.

Just as I pulled out the blade, Artemis stirred in pain. I quickly pressed a pad of bandage on the wound with one hand and reached out for the salve with the other, getting Haldir to open it for me. Then I removed the already bloodstained pad in order to apply the herbal mixture. Once this was done I bandaged it neatly.
"What should I do with the knife?" I asked Haldir. He shoved a bucket towards me with his foot, and I dropped the bloody weapon into it. I decided to leave Artemis where she was for the time being, as she seemed pretty comfortable, or as comfortable as one could be whilst unconscious. However she woke up quite soon, and Haldir tried to help her to her feet. Her leg crumpled and she ended up back on the floor.
"Whatever. I guess I'm staying here then," she said, making herself comfortable. "Ouch."

The next day, we were ready to leave. Haldir led us to the edge of Lothlórien. He started to help Artemis with her horse and I moved away to give them some privacy. I believed that there might have been something going on between those two. After a little while Artemis was ready to ride. Her knee was still painful but she said it would heal quickly enough.
"Are you sure you can keep up? We can ride slower if you want," I asked her.
"I'll be fine. It's not like it was poisoned or anything," she replied, glancing sideways at Legolas. We left Lothlórien behind and started riding north up the Anduin.

After a short while it became evident that Artemis couldn't keep up with the pace we set for her. The rhythm of the horse kept jolting her knee and she winced every time.
"We can go slower. We don't want your knee to get injured further," I called out as we rode back to meet her. She may have thought that she was being a burden but I quite enjoyed keeping our mounts to a walk and taking in the beautiful landscapes. It was nice not having to worry about Orc packs and poisoned arrows. Night came and Legolas suggested that we rest for a while. Artemis looked pale and sore. She could probably use the rest and Legolas himself wasn't in the best condition either. We found a suitable spot and prepared to stop. Legolas and I dismounted with ease but Artemis got into a little trouble. She put her weight in her hands, swung her right leg over Gil-galad's back and dropped to the ground, landing on her left leg first as was usual for this type of dismount. But her leg crumpled beneath her and she landed hard. I made her a quick bed to sit on while Legolas helped her walk over to it. After setting up camp, I recommended that they both get some rest, as we would be doing a lot more riding tomorrow. I changed Artemis' bandage and then went back to sit with Legolas.
"She will be alright, won't she?" Legolas was concerned but I assured him that everything would be fine.
"It's only one cut, and there was no infection. Artemis is tough, she can handle it."
He nodded but I knew that he wasn't reassured. "You saved my life when no one else could, yet I feel like I can't even help my own sister. How did you handle it?"
"Honestly, I felt like I wasn't handling things well at all. But everything turned out alright and I know it will this time too."
Legolas sighed and gave me an affectionate smile. "I'm going to lie down. We have a lot of riding to do and I want to leave at first light." He bent down and kissed me before walking over to where Artemis was resting. He lay down near her and closed his eyes. I didn't feel tired so I stayed and watched the stars. I wanted things to turn out perfectly but I was also scared of going back. I had already experienced the wrath of King Thranduil but I didn't know how far he could go. I knew where my heart was and I decided that I would not let anyone could take that away from me.

Artemis was feeling better in the morning so we increased the pace a little. She continued to improve over the next few days until she could ride nights as well as days. The journey back was considerably shorter and we soon found ourselves standing on the edge of Mirkwood.
"I will go in and talk to Thranduil," Artemis said. "Wait here."
"He will not listen to you," Legolas argued.
"I will make him," she replied grimly. "Anyway, Thalia is still banished and Thranduil will not be happy that you ran away. And I'm sure you are the best person to wait with Thalia."
"I agree. Go, Artie," I told her, and Gil-galad galloped away before Legolas could object further.