Chapter 10

The wedding day
Artemis was helping me get ready in her room. Thranduil had offered to provide a team of elves to help me prepare but I turned him down. We had very different opinions on how the wedding should be run. He wanted to invite masses of people with all the noble and honourable ones attending while I would have preferred for it to just be family and close friends. We eventually came to a compromise but he still insisted on inviting Lord Elrond, Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn. Haldir would also be attending, much to Artemis' delight.
"Thalia, are you ready to put on your dress?" Artemis' voice brought me back to reality.
"Oh, yes I am."
"Are you nervous? Would you like some water?" She obviously noticed that I was acting a little vague.
"No, really. I'm fine. I'm more excited than nervous." I smiled as I thought about today. This was my day. I was actually getting married! I stood up and went to try on my dress. It was definitely the most beautiful thing I had ever worn. It was form fitting until just above my knees, where it became flared. It was made of white lace with flowers woven into the skirt. The straps were the same shade of dark green as Artemis' maid of honour dress. Her gown was a simple, strapless dress with a fitted bodice, gathered at the waist so that the gold-embroidered skirt fell in soft folds to the floor. It complimented her slim figure and the colours set off her dark, gold-streaked hair, green eyes and tanned skin beautifully. Both of us had our hair braided in a traditional Elvish style with more flowers woven through it, and we would both be barefoot. Together, we looked flawless enough to be worthy of our titles as Elvish princesses. Well, one princess and one soon-to-be princess anyway.

Just before it was time to go, there was a quiet knock at the door and my mother came in. She looked exquisite in a dress similar to Artemis'.
"I know it is not time yet, but I just wanted to come in and say how proud I am of my daughter." She walked over and gently embraced me.
"Any man would be lucky to have you. Just remember to keep your head held high and to know your worth. I am so blessed to have you as my daughter."
"Thanks Mother. Thank you for always being there for me. I only wish Father could be here today." After I mentioned my father, Mother became very emotional and we had to fetch her a handkerchief to dry her tears before it was time to go. I even caught a tear sliding down Artemis' cheek.

The wedding was held in a pristine part of the woods. It was large enough for all the guests and tastefully decorated with natural foliage. Everyone was already assembled before we arrived. Artemis went first and my mother and I came after her. I felt everyone's eyes on me as I walked down the aisle. My heart was racing but all of my anxiety melted away when I saw Legolas standing there, dressed in a neat white shirt and green trousers. I forgot about all the other people, because we were the only ones that mattered. It was our day, after all.

I took my place at the front. Thranduil, as the King and Legolas' father, would be conducting the ceremony. He started to speak but I wasn't really listening. I just stared into Legolas' eyes and remembered that this was the day when we became one through our immeasurable love. Then before I realised it, it was time for our vows. Legolas was to go first. But before he spoke, he whispered,
"You look beautiful."

"Thalia, I promise to forever be loyal as your husband to you and only you. I promise to treasure our love and honour you as my wife, my soulmate and my best friend."

I was overwhelmed with happiness. That was the most amazing thing anyone had ever said to me. Then it was my turn.

"Legolas, you were my first and only love. I promise to forever relish the good times and learn from the bad. Whatever happens, I promise to always love you, until the end of time."

"You may kiss the bride!"
Without any hesitation, Legolas swept me into his arms and kissed me like never before. The crowd was cheering in the background but none of that mattered. I was with my true love and that made me the happiest elf alive. Happier than my mother, crying with joy. Happier than Thranduil, smiling larger than I had ever seen. Happier even than Artemis who was exploding with excitement and joy, so much so that she had to leave the clearing until she calmed down.

The celebrations ran long into the night. Wonderful music was being played by some of the elves of Lothlórien and Legolas and I danced together for every song. I had never been much of a dancer but I made a special effort that night. Also, every time I stepped on Legolas' foot he tactfully forgot to mention it. Eventually the musicians took a break so we went back to our table. Artemis was already there so we sat next down next to her.
"I haven't seen you dancing much," I commented.
"Well, I don't really have anyone to dance with. You may have noticed that Father isn't very interested, and everyone here is from Mirkwood. As such, I haven't really seen them for two thousand years, the majority of my life."
"I will dance with you when the music starts again," Legolas offered. Artemis looked thrilled.

I stayed and watched them until the song was finished. When they came back to the table I grabbed Artemis to talk with her privately.
"I notice that Haldir doesn't have a dance partner. Why don't you ask him for a dance? I'm sure he would love to accept," I said with a wink. She blushed and stared at her feet.
"Oh go on. You know you want to," I coaxed. She nodded and gave me a small smile before tentatively walking over to where Haldir was standing. I went back to sit with Legolas. As I watched Artemis and Haldir dancing joyfully, I was glad that there was a little more love in the world.