Chapter 8

Artemis' POV
Gil-galad's hooves drummed rhythmically on the leafy ground of Mirkwood. The palace drew slowly closer as I wondered how in Middle-earth I would make Thranduil listen to me.
"Only one way to find out," I thought grimly. I nudged Gil-galad's side and he accelerated. Seemingly in no time, we reached the palace. With slight difficulty, I dismounted and told Gil-galad to stay. Then I limped up the steps into the palace and headed for Thranduil's throne room.

I reached the oak doors and told the guard who I was. He admitted me with a respectful nod.
"Your Majesty," he said. "Someone to see you." Thranduil looked up with interest, but glanced away when he saw my face. The guard left and I strode across the room to face Thranduil.
"I-" I began. When he ignored me, something in me snapped. This had been going on for far too long.
"LOOK AT ME!" I shouted. Finally he lifted his head. Then to my amazement he started to cry. I just stared at him, confused.
"You are so like your mother," he whispered after a moment. "Every time I see you I am reminded of her."
A tear slid down my own cheek. For the first time in over two thousand years, my father was finally looking at me. Speaking to me.
"I cannot believe what I did to you," he continued. This was not how I had planned it.
"You had just lost your mother, and I sent you away. Because of me you lost both parents. I drove you away when you needed me most. Because of my selfishness. Because I could not handle the fact that you look like her. You are all I have left of her. How can you ever forgive me?" He stood up and walked down to where I was standing.
"Like this," I replied, and wrapped my arms around him, another tear sliding down my cheek. When we finally stopped crying, he stepped back to look at me. 
"Now, what did you want?"
"I wanted to talk to you about Thalia," I answered. "The girl you banished. The palace healer."
"What about her?" he asked.
"I wanted to tell you that she saved Legolas' life. And she healed me too. I came to ask you to revoke her banishment."
He nodded. "Her healing skills have been sorely missed. And I am coming to regret my actions for other reasons. I have forgotten what love is like; I have not loved for so long. But I remember now. And I cannot believe I tried to take it from my own son."
I explained the tale in full, and told him where Thalia and Legolas were. "I would like it if you told them in person, Father," I said, the word so long unused. Too long.

Thalia's POV
After a little while, I saw two riders and mounts coming towards us. I identified the black horse as Gil-galad, with Artemis on his back. The other mount was an elk, and I could not identify its rider, though I felt like I ought to know. Then as they drew closer, Legolas gasped. At the same moment I figured out who the rider was, and my jaw dropped. It was Thranduil.

When they reached us, Artemis gracefully dismounted and so did Thranduil.
"Thalia," he said. I felt a thrill of fear. "Artemis has informed me of all that you have done for both my children. I would like to tell you that your banishment is officially over."
I started to cry with joy. Remembering my manners, I curtsied and replied, "Thank you, my lord."
He stepped forward and placed a hand on my shoulder. Then he spoke quietly to me. "I would be honoured to have you as my daughter-in-law." Artemis and Legolas cheered, and I remembered Elvish hearing powers. Artemis whistled and Hadron trotted over. Legolas climbed up and pulled me up behind him. As we rode off, Artemis told me, "You will be pleased to know that Dúath returned safely to the Mirkwood royal stables."
Legolas and I grinned. Even Thranduil smiled. That was one smart horse. Artemis reined in Gil-galad so he was level with Hadron and whispered, "Let's hurry. Would I be right in guessing we will soon have a royal wedding to arrange?" She dug her heels into Gil-galad, who shot away. Artemis' braid flew behind her as she laughed, and we laughed too. But I was seriously wondering just how accurate her words would be.