Chapter 11

The next day, we packed for our honeymoon in Fangorn Forest. It was filled with many ancient secrets that we Elves are fascinated by. Shortly before it was time to leave, Artemis came into our room.
"It looks like you are almost ready to leave. I just came to explain. I cannot stay in Mirkwood. I will be returning to Lothlórien today. I know that things are so much better between Father and I but Lothlórien is my home and there are people there that I cannot just forget and leave behind." Legolas seemed a lot more surprised than I was. I knew the connection she had to Lothlórien as I felt the same about my home, here in the Woodland Realm.
"I understand. Since we are already packed, why don't we all go together? You shall stay in Lórien and we will go on to Fangorn." She looked surprised at my calm tone.
"You're not upset?"
"I am, but you have made your choice and I respect that. Anyway, it's not like you can't visit us from time to time."
She smiled sadly. "I'll let you finish packing. Find me when you're ready." She quickly exited the room in the hope that we would not see her crying.

We departed the Woodland Realm a few hours later, travelling light so that our horses didn't tire quickly. There were four of us: Legolas, Artemis, Haldir and I. Haldir was taking Artemis back to Lothlórien with him. I was now certain that those two were more than friends but I decided to leave it to them to figure it out. Getting to Lothlórien was easy. The hard part was saying goodbye. There was a lot of hugging and a fair few tears shed. Even Legolas started to cry.

On the way from Lothlórien to Fangorn, we were both unusually quiet. Saying goodbye to Artemis was sad but I didn't want to dwell on it during our honeymoon. Call me selfish, but I didn't want to ruin what was meant to be the happiest time of our lives.
"Come now, we cannot spend the whole trip like this. Artemis is happy where she is and she would want us to be happy too." Legolas took my hand after I spoke and we stayed like that for a while. I had never been as far as this before and the scenery did not disappoint. I tried to put the past behind and look forward to the next few weeks with my favourite elf. A bird could be heard in the distance. It drew near and dropped a note down to us before turning around and flying back. Legolas picked it up and opened it.
"My dear friends, do not be saddened by my departure. Instead, be glad that you have each other and enjoy this time together. It is your time. Love, Artemis," he read. I sighed fondly. Trust Artemis to just about read our minds and send the right thing to make us feel better.

Fangorn Forest stood in front of us. The trees here felt so alive and even the air felt like it was brimming with magic and mystery. Our time here was spent exploring, talking to the trees and just enjoying each others company. On the last night before we had to leave, we lay down and looked at the stars. Elves value starlight above all else and they seemed particularly bright tonight. I could name many of the stars back in Mirkwood but some of the ones here were unfamiliar for me. I searched for a while before finding it. A small yet bright star that I see every night from my window at home. I didn't know its name but it was still my favourite star.
"That one reminds me of you," Legolas pointed to a very bright star that outshone all the others. I was flattered but I didn't agree.
"I don't think so. I'm not important enough to stand out like that."
"You are to me," Legolas replied without any hesitation. It was times like these where my heart absolutely melted.
"It is called Eärendil. The elves of Lothlórien and Rivendell love it above all other stars. We don't in Mirkwood because we can't see it in the sky," he continued.
"See those two stars over there?" I pointed. "See how they are basically touching each other? Those remind me of us. They will be together forever and so will we."
"Yes, but they can only be seen when it gets dark. We will endure both day and night." I rolled over to face him and he responded by gently kissing me on the forehead. Wow, I could get used to this.

I was absentmindedly playing with Legolas' hair when I realised something.
"The trees could be watching us, you know." I wasn't very comfortable with publicly displaying my affections towards someone, even if it was for a bunch of trees who were probably sleeping. Legolas put his arm around my waist.
"Let them watch," he whispered before kissing me, full on the lips. I was alarmed at first, but I soon relaxed to the familiarity of his touch. I had all but forgotten the trees until we broke apart and I saw one of them quietly laughing.

If you stand in Fangorn Forest today and look up at the stars, you can spot two stars that look like they are holding hands. You've never heard of them? They were named after one of the most famous love stories of this age. They are called Legolas and Thalia.

~~~
The End!
If you liked this story, go check out the sequel, Untold Stories :)
http://my.w.tt/UiNb/l32wc1j1HB