Prologue: Not How it Used to be

[ forenote; I am a nerd/geek - I research and obsess with things like Pacific Rim... Anyway, some of this is made-up for the sake of this fanfic and for some of the OCs. Don't worry - I will twist in every canon character from the movie and such. c; It wouldn't be Pacific Rim otherwise. Maybe OCxcanon character (Raleigh). Not entirely sure, to be honest. I'll make something up. xD

All this is subject to change. I did edit this a few times, but I am VERY indecisive, lol. ]

-----

August 10th, 2013.

I was only ten when I watched Trespasser destroy some of California's most popular cities... I remember cowering behind my father when I saw the ferocious teeth of the Kaiju on the TV when it roared and sliced through buildings like they were paper. It seemed like an unstoppable force that could crush anything that tried to stand in its way. My brown eyes were glued to the screen, unable to look away as if I were in a trance... I was afraid, yes, but my curiosity was greater.

At that time, it was only my father, my older brother, and I. My mother... she had died a few years ago due to an unknown plague that suddenly hit thousands of people, taking so many lives every day... I found out later that it was radiation poisoning from the Breach when it was developing underwater - known as the Breach Plague. How it affected only certain people? To this day, I don't know. There are so many things we don't know about the Breach and the Kaijus... It's intriguing and terrifying at the same time.

And where did I live...? Well, I was born in Anchorage, Alaska, US. A frozen wasteland? Hardly, though I barely can remember a thing from there - I didn't live there long. I don't remember due to the fact that my father was a high military official who was constantly traveling. This meant that my mother, my brother, and I traveled with him. We saw the world, yes, but this caused my brother and I to mature faster - learn to take care of ourselves. A good thing, really...

But I remember my mother always having this sad expression, as she watched us grow up so quickly... I never understood why she'd look so down, like she was disappointed. This usually happened whenever my brother and I spoke to each other, alternating several languages in one conversation.

My father had taken the initiative to prepare us. "For what?" I remember asking him once. He replied with, "the future". This was even before the Kaiju invaded. And thanks to my father's expertise training and wisdom, I've saved my own skin a few times - all thanks to my dad's wise decisions.

But even with all his training, there was no way I, or any of us, could be prepared for what happened next.

I watched the first Kaiju attack in a hotel in Washington D.C. That was the start of my hectic life...

-----

Fast-forward to the establishment of the Pan Pacific Defense Corps and the Jaeger Program at around 2014, a year later.

My father was a well-known military officer, as I have mentioned before. He was actually promoted to the Marshall of the Anchorage Shatterdome, a well-derserving position. He eventually became a Jaeger pilot himself - his Jaeger, the Black Hawk. He and his partner took down a couple Kaijus - they were famous for developing some of the most popular techniques used today. My brother and I lived in the Anchorage Shatterdome with him, in constant awe of our father. Everyone in the Shatterdome knew who we were.

I was Marshall Whitehorse's geeky eleven-year old daughter who hung around the Jaegers whenever I found the chance. I observed the J-Tech workers run maintenance on the Jaegers a lot, hovering around them with curious eyes of a puppy. I was friends with nearly all of them. They were happy to show a curious little girl how the systems work, not knowing that everything would actually stick in my mind and that I would eventually grow more knowledgeable than them. I was fascinated with the mechanics of a Jaeger so much, that a very close friend of my father, Dr. Jasper Schoenfeld, decided to teach me a thing or two. He saw talent in me. I became some sort of apprentice, you could say. I never thought that my interest in Jaegers would lead to a dangerous, interesting, and a completely terrifying path.