Rule #4: Date Night (Part Two)

The diner was having a busy night. Groups of teenagers and college students milled about, exchanging smiles, hugs, laughter, taking pictures and gossiping, and just having a good time. It made sense because this was the first week of school for everyone, and it was Wednesday, so everyone was out and about congratulating themselves for surviving until the hump of the week.

I pulled my blazer tighter around my white T-shirt, my breath no longer vaporizing since I was inside the restaurant. It was really loud, painfully so. My eyes roved over the numerous customers, hopeful of seeing a lone girl, preferably pretty, sitting and waiting for me. After about two minutes of dawdling like an idiot by the door when the waiter came to me a third time I relented and let him lead me to a table for two.

Fiddling with a loose thread on my black jeans, I turned from left to right, awkwardly bobbing my leg up and down. My fist clenched as I heard a familiar voice from behind my back. Tilting my head ever so slightly to hear better, I leaned back against the divider, silently listening.

"What would you like to eat? I seem to recall you like seafood, right? Would a lobster be good? A lobster for two, maybe?" Cody-son-of-a-person said, his voice teasing.

"Actually, I'm allergic to most seafood."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"So, what do you want?"

"I don't know, anything, really."

"But not seafood."

"Right."

I snickered, feeling very happy for some reason at Cody's shortcomings. They continued to discuss food for a while longer as I stared down anyone who entered the diner, still waiting for Samantha. What if she stood me up? No, she was the one who wanted to meet up in the first place. I looked down at the cream tablecloth and sighed.

"May I take your order, handsome?" A pretty brunette smiled down at me. I lifted the corner of my mouth and shook my head.

"No, I'm waiting for someone."

She looked at me sympathetically. It was 9:20, and Sam hadn't made and appearance as of yet. "Just give me ten more minutes," I voiced aloud. "Then I'll be leaving."

She nodded and turned to leave before turning back to me and saying, "If she doesn't turn up, I'll be on break in about fifteen minutes." She left with a wink.

I shifted my focus back to the duo behind me, tapping my fork against the candleholder that was in the middle of the table, my head resting on my arm. It seemed they had finally decided on something, and were now making small talk. Really small talk. So small they basically weren't talking.

Bored out of my mind, I decided to take a trip to the bathroom for the heck of it. I flagged down a waiter. "Hey, man. Listen, I'm gonna go for a bit to the restroom. If a girl named Samantha turns up, would you please seat her at this table?" He gave me an affirmative nod, and I stood up, clapping his shoulder. "Thanks."

Making sure to drive outside of Cody and Audrey's sight, I made my way to the bathroom, brushing by two guys that were chatting between themselves animatedly.

When I came back out, they were still standing there, but now with binoculars. What were they doing? Deciding that I did not want to get involved in this, I attempted to get past them. "Excuse me, I need to get through."

They turned around and I vaguely recognized one of them. The dude's eyes widened. "Hey, I know you!"

I smiled uncomfortably, remembering exactly where I had met him. It was Jay. I hadn't recognized him in the casual khaki shorts and black tee he was wearing.