Rule #18: Say My Name, Say My Name

Cheers erupted from behind me, and I almost dropped dead of shock when I turned around and my dad ruffled my hair. “Now I can finally call you my son,” he said, smiling proudly. Okay, I’m pretty sure my jaw’s jaw dropped.

Mom and Mrs. West were having a tear fest, making me feel increasingly embarrassed. Fortunately, Rickie, the amazing guy he is, decided to lead our families away. Unfortunately, that left me and Audrey alone.

Flushing, I peeked at her, and she was now giving me a vulnerable look. “Do you mean that?” she asked finally.

Wanting to crawl up in a hole and die, I just nodded. “Yeah. I do.”

A small, genuine smile started to grow on her face but she still had indecisiveness in her eyes. The wait was killing me.

“Okay.”

I balked. “Okay?

She nodded shyly. For some reason, that irked me. Audrey was never shy around me. If I was making her feel uncomfortable… “You have drool on your face,” I tested.

She blushed, rubbing at her face. “Sorry.” Her voice was small.

Sorry? No ‘you have face on your drool, Adam’ or anything?” She was giving me a confused look, and I felt my exhilaration at finally telling her my feelings fade away.

“Never mind.” I turned away to leave. We had to repack our stuff; Ink’s family had volunteered to drop us off. And considering Lana was unavailable, the Langs were the only choice we had.

“Listen, Adam.”

I stopped in my tracks, turning around slowly.

“I don’t want to promise you anything, okay? That’s all there is to it. But that doesn’t mean…” A fiery expression took over her face and I smiled the widest I had since coming here.

Ears perking up, I tilted my head in her direction. “Yeah?”

“That doesn’t mean that you can just insult me and get away with it!”

The hug I gave her was self-explanatory. She was back; my Audrey was back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I love you so much. I never, ever want you to leave me,” I breathed, staring deeply at her red color.

“Lana, baby, I am so, so sorry you had to leave.” I hugged the hood of my baby, never wanting to let go.

“Adam, you can let go now.”

“But baby, I missed you.”

Wait. Lana doesn’t speak. Wait, does she? Did I pay extra or something so they put in a voice box? “Lana, you can talk to me!” I exclaimed. This was honestly the best day of my life. “But you sort of sound like May.”

“Man, are you kidding me right now?”

Oh, it actually was May. “Oh, it’s you,” I said, my happiness dimming. It would have been cool to hear Lana talk. “Hi.”

May was looking at me as if I’d grown three heads. “You know, after your traumatizing weekend, I’m pretty sure you can take today off as well. Don’t worry about Jay,” she added. But from her face it was clear that it was something to worry about.

I straightened up, stroking Lana’s roof. “Nah, just glad to have her back. Besides, I’m here already. No point going back.”

Relief etched across her face, May ran a hand through her hair. It was out of her usual ponytail today. “Thank god. Now hurry up, we’re getting late.”