I

Ten Years Later

"We have all come to love and respect Julian over this past year. It was easy to forget that she was only ours for a short time," the alpha said to the crowd before us. His voice rang out loud and clear, showing no hint to the emotions that swirled around in his green eyes. Everyone that I had come to love was doing their best to keep from crying.

I had spent ten years away from my pack, my family. In those years, I had perfected my gift. Now I had full control over both sides of it. While I could heal and save lives, I could also destroy and take them. Ten different packs, ten different groups of strangers that became dearer to me than my own family, had taught me so much.

"Jules," Alpha Silas Dixon called out, pulling me back to earth. I smiled at him shyly. "You will always be welcomed as family among us." His words were honest and heartfelt. Tears blurred my vision but I blinked them away. "Thank you, alpha," I said softly. "I will always consider Belshes my family." Looking out over the pack that had become like family, I smile. Lifting my head, I proudly repeat their motto, "FULGET VIRTUS INTAMINATA."*

The pack cheered as Silas hugged me. He lifted a ring from the small box it had been resting in. The pack's symbol and their scent had been imprinted on it. It was our way of letting would-be attackers know that I was protected by the Belshes clan. The ring was one of ten similar items that I had been given from each pack I had stayed with.

The first clan I had stayed with, Blane, had given me a bracelet; the second clan, Byres, had given me a pair of earrings. From the third clan, Carruthers, gifted me a necklace. The fourth clan, Cheyne, gave me another pair of earrings. The fifth clan who was warriors, the Dewar, gave me a tattoo that held each name and the clan's scent. From a distance, it looked like a howling wolf. The Dewar also gave me a set of skills that made me a deadly fighter.

Clans six and seven, Dunbar and Ewing, gifted me bracelets after my stay with them had come to an end. The eight clan I had stayed with, Forsyth, gave me another clan tattoo. The ninth clan, MacInnes, gave me a necklace. I had ten of the strongest packs protecting me, and those I cared for. Anyone that came close to me would know immediately the amount of danger they would be in if they harmed me.

"There you are Jules," a dark haired, good looking man said as he came to a stop beside me. Smiling up at my last teacher, I gave him a hug. "Good to see you again as well Sawyer." He laughed with me, looking out over the pack. Sawyer had been the youngest healer of our kind until I, at six, had been sent to learn. He didn't mind that his title had been given away. I think that it was due to the fact he was closer to my age made it easier to learn from him.

"This came for you this morning," he spoke as he handed me a letter. I couldn't stop the hope rising in my heart as I took it. It had been eight years since I had last heard from Daniel. And with each letter I received from home, I always hoped it was from him. My eyes landed on my father's name and my heart sunk deep in my chest.

"That boy will come around one day," Sawyer spoke, causing me to look at him in confusion. He just laughed and left me in peace to read my letter. As he walked away, I realized what it was about him that drew me in. He had an aura that reminded me of Daniel. Quickly ripping the envelope open, my eyes scan the familiar writing.

Dear Julian,

How have you been sweetheart? Your mother and I are so excited that you're finally coming home.

The entire clan was delighted when Alpha Donavon announced that you would be returning to us soon. They are planning a very big surprise for you. I'm sure that you'll love it.