~Chapter Twenty-Three~

Chapter Twenty-Three

There was a loud scream as flames engulfed the entity that had been previously torturing Sam and Dean. I stood over the dug up grave with a box of matches in my hand, "Seriously?"

Sam stayed on the ground, taking deep breaths, "Thanks." I made my way over to him and held my hand out. Sam took it and I helped pull him up. Dean jumped to his feet and limped over to us.

I stared at the two brothers, "Can we please get the hell off of Long Island now?" My mother's sobbing face entered my mind. A day later and it still hurt. I wanted to get as far away from it as possible. Sam smiled down at me and nodded. He went to wrap his arm around my shoulders, but I walked quickly in front of him. I could hear the footsteps of both brothers following me as I pulled open the back door of the Impala open and climbed inside. Staring straight ahead, I waited to hear the creaking of the two front doors. Sam and Dean climbed into the car quietly and Dean started up the engine.

He pulled away from the cemetery, "So where to?" He looked at Sam and got no response, so he turned to me, "Scar? Ideas?" Shaking my head, I kept my gaze forward. Dean sighed, "Alright. Guess we'll just drive then." So we did. My gaze moved to the back of Sam's head. He hadn't said a word to me since we got in the car. Leaning forward, I draped my arms around his neck. He turned to look at me and I could see the smile forming on his lips. His hand came up to rest on mine and we stayed like that. We continued to drive for a few hours, in complete silence, before my phone started to buzz in my pocket. Leaning back, I pulled the device from my pocket and opened the message from Amelia.

"Pull over."

Dean looked at me quickly, "What?"

I shoved my phone back into my jacket, "Pull over, now." The Impala skidded to a stop at the side of the road and I jumped out of the backseat. Sam threw open his door and followed me as I walked around the back of the car.

He grabbed my arm, "Scarlett, what's going on."

I stared up at him, "I have to go."

I tried to walk away, but Sam kept a firm grip on my arm, "We'll go with you."

Shaking my head, I was able to free my arm, "I don't have time. I need to get to Roxbury now. You'd slow me down." Sam took a step back and his face changed. Like a sadness or a hurt or something had flashed across it. I reached out to him, taking his hand in my own, "Meet me there?" He managed a small smile and a nod. I smiled back and dropped his hand. Then I was gone. Wind whipping at my hair, I ran as fast as I could.

It didn't take long for me to reach the house. I kept my distance, though, searching the tree line for any strangers. I couldn't see anyone and there was no foreign scent in the air, so I made my way up to the house. Keeping my eyes peeled, I moved slowly up the front steps. Before I could reach the door, it was thrown open and Amelia came rushing at me, "Scarlett!" I caught her in my arms and quickly pushed her back into the house, slamming the door behind us.

"What the hell is going on, Amelia?" She twisted her hands together and avoided my gaze. I sighed, "Amelia, you need to tell me what happened."

She looked up at me, "There was a man standing at the tree line." She walked into the living room and I followed her. "Kate noticed him first. We couldn't pick up any scent from him and he never moved towards the house," she looked up at me, "He just stood there."

I nodded, "How long?"

She shrugged, "Maybe three days? And then he was just gone."

I ran a hand through my hair, "Three days? And you're just telling me now?"