~Chapter Twenty-Four~

Chapter Twenty-Four

Sam and I sat side by side on the couch in the living room in complete silence. I was trying to figure out where the best place to start this story was. With a sigh I turned to face Sam, "You already know about the night I died, so..." Sam gave me a small smile while placing his hand over my own, giving it a small squeeze.

"Just take your time."

I gave a bitter laugh, "Time. The one thing I have more than enough of except when I really need it." Sam squeezed my hand again and I gave him a forced smile, "I guess I should start where I left off." Sam nodded and I closed my eyes.

My eyes snapped open. Every sound around me was hitting my eardrums without mercy. Every color and shape assaulted my eyes. It was like someone turned my senses to the max. I could hear everything. Footsteps that sounded as if they were miles away and the light fluttering of wings. I don't remember ever being able to hear wings before. "Hey." My head snapped to my left where I saw a girl with dark matted hair and bruises on her arms laying on the stone floor in a cage next to me. It was then that I realized that I was in a cage too. I stared at the girl as she turned to face me fully. I jumped back. Her eyes were red.

I took a deep breath, finding that I didn't really need it, "What's wrong with your eyes?"

A grim smile spread on her lips, "The same thing that's wrong with yours." I jumped to my feet and paced around the cage, searching for some reflective surface, while clutching at my face. She was lying. I didn't have red eyes.

There was nothing around that I would be able to see my reflection in, so I turned to her, "You're lying."

She shook her head, "I'm looking at them right now. They're as red as blood." She coughed and I noticed something red splatter on the ground in front of her. She wiped her mouth, "Everyone in this hall has red eyes." I stood up straighter and looked around to see cages on the other side of the hall. Three other girls were laying in them, looking tired and broken. They all had red eyes.

"Why?"

The girl stared at me, "That's what happens when you die." Everything stopped. There wasn't a single sound to be heard. I stumbled back, grabbing the cold wall for support. I couldn't be dead. She was lying. I knew she was. My free hand flew to my neck, pressing hard on the skin. Redness swelled in my eyes. She was right. There was no steady thumping of my heart against my hands. No pulse. I was dead.

I felt rough hands cup my cheeks and gentle strokes across the skin under my eyes. Sam was wiping away the tears that I hadn't even realized were falling. I pulled away from him, "I've never told this story to anyone before." I felt Sam's hand start to rub circles on my back, but he didn't say anything. For that I was grateful.

Those thudding footsteps sounded like they were getting closer and I could feel the blood in my body running faster than it had been a minute ago. I looked at the other girls in the room as they all slid into the back corners of their cells, folding themselves up, hugging their knees to their chests. I moved closer to the bars, trying to get a good look at the stairs that led down to the hall. The girl next to me was hissing at me, telling me to get back, but I wanted to know what was going on. If I had no pulse, then how was I still walking and talking? I wanted answers and whoever was going to come down those stairs would be able to give them to me. The door at the top of the stairs creaked open and I shuddered at the shrill sound as it greeted my sensitive ears. I could barely see a pair of legs make their way down the steps, slowly and heavily, followed by a torso and then a very pale neck, and then a sinister face. I recoiled slightly, the twisted smile on this man's face was quite unnerving. I heard his deep chuckle as he made it to the hall and walked past the cages, staring at the inhabitants of each. He turned at the end of the hall and stared at the girl next to me for a moment before his gaze fell to me, the bars of the cell still clutched in my shaking hands. He smirked and walked closer. I kept my gaze on him even though I wanted nothing more than to shrink back and curl up in a ball on the floor like the others. A long, slender finger reached through the bars and glided down my cheek. I moved back slightly as the cold of his skin shocked me. He chuckled again, "My new toy." I jerked back, away from the bars, eliciting another chuckle from the mystery man. He turned away and unlocked one of the cells across the way. The girl inside whimpered and pushed herself farther into the corner. The man took no notice as he pulled open the cell door and stormed inside. Picking her up by her dirty hair, he dragged her roughly into the hallway. She cried out and stumbled to her knees. All of the previous mirth from the man was gone as he sneered at her and pulled her to her feet again. He hauled her up the stairs while red tears poured from her eyes.