Chapter 2

"Hey," Lapis said calmly, setting down her bag.  "Anyone sitting here?"  "Maybe," Peridot said, pulling her hood down so it covered her eyes.   Lapis stood there, not sure if she should sit down or not.  "Well, I guess I'll go sit with Amethyst then." Lapis said slowly, hesitating between words.  As Lapis walked away, Peridot flicked up and quickly turned around.  "Wait, Lapis!" Peridot said, hoping that Lapis would hear her.  "Lapis turned around, looking at Peridot with a confused expression.  "I... Uh... You can... Nobody is actually sitting here."  Peridot quickly said, turning back to her table, peeking at Lapis to see if she would come.

She did, in fact, come back- but didn't sit down.  "Oh really?  Are you sure someone else wouldn't want to sit here?"  She teased playfully, grinning at Peridot.  Peridot, on the other hand, being the sensitive female that she was, took it seriously.  "P... Probably not.  No one ever sits with me.  They... They all hate me."  She said, looking away from Lapis to hide the small tears forming in her eyes.  "Everyone ha-" "Hey, hey, Peri, calm down.  I was just joking around..." Lapis interrupted Peridot, not noticing that she was so fragile.  "Sorry, I-"  Lapis said, suddenly pausing in between speech to think.  "Perhaps she was on her special time of the month?"  Lapis tenderly took hold of Peridot's chin and turned Peridot's head to face her own.  "I'm sorry if I said something wrong."  Lapis said seriously but carefully, still holding Peridot's chin.  They stayed in that position for a while, until they heard a loud voice behind them.  "Are you going to kiss, or what?"

Lapis whipped around angrily, staring at the smug face of Jasper.  "I wasn't going to kiss her, I was just telling her something!"  "Oh, and I take it that you need to tell someone something by caressing her face and getting all close?"  "She was sad, okay?  And I hope you don't think that I like her, because she stated earlier that she wasn't gay!  Right Peri?"  Lapis shouted, lowering her voice on the last two words then looking at Peridot.  "Her head was faced slightly away, with her hood covering most of her face.  Lapis thought that she was angry, because she could have sworn that she saw some red on her face.  "Back off, Jasper.  She's in a bad mood right now."  "With you defending her like that, when she comes back to her dorm, she'll be in a worse mood."  Jasper growled, and walked away before Lapis could say anything.

During break time, Peridot was in an empty hallway, needing some alone time.  "I should have just said that I didn't want her to sit next to me."  Peridot raged in her mind, pacing up and down the hallway with her hands in her pockets.  "Why didn't I just tell her to shoo away?  I don't want some stupid friendship distracting me from my schoolwork, anyways.  "If my parents were here-"  Peridot stopped.  Her parents.  They had died in a car accident a long time ago, and Peridot was never fully sure that they truly loved her though.  Thinking about them brought tears to her eyes, as she sunk down to the floor, near the end of the hall, in an emotional wreak.  Tears starting to stream down her face, more things came up, like how she never got to say goodbye, and how she never showed her true affection to her parents.  More and more thoughts started to cloud her mind, blocking her from hearing her phone alarm that signaled that it was time for her next class.  Peridot took notice of her phone, and threw it across the hallway, far enough so she couldn't hear it.  Peridot didn't care, she didn't even know why her phone was buzzing.  Putting her head down to her arms, she thought about how her parents could comfort her right now.  But they couldn't.  They wouldn't anyways.  No one cared about her stupid, pathetic life.  "N...No one cares about me."  She said quietly in between soft sobs.  She didn't want anyone to know that she was here.  No one cared.  No one loved her, or at least that's what she believed.

Right then, Lapis was hurrying to get to class, and saw Peridot's phone on the floor, obvious by the cute little alien figures that filled the case.  "Did she drop it?"  Lapis murmured, picking up the phone with a cracked screen.  That's when she heard the quiet sobs near her.  Lapis looked to her right, seeing Peridot in a shady part of the hallway, with her head down and body shaking.  "Hey Peridot.  You're usually not late to class."  Lapis called, staying in the light part of the hallway.  When she did not get a response, Lapis slowly walked into the dark part, seeing Peridot's back shaking tensely, with her sleeve damp from some sort of liquid.  "Uh, hey Peri.  Is everything okay?"  Still no response.  Turning on her phone, Lapis could see that it was about five minutes after class started.  She stood up too leave, but noticing the horrible state that Peridot was in, she decided to sit back down.  "It's just English," Lapis thought. "I can skip one class."

Lapis shook Peridot's shoulder lightly, whispering near Peridot's ear, "Peri, what's wrong?  It's not like you to cry like this."  "Lapis doesn't know me.  She's only known me for half a day.  Why is she assuming what I'm like?"  Peridot thought harshly.  "She doesn't know about my parents.  She doesn't know about what I've been through."  Lapis looked around to make sure no one was watching, then got her lips close to Peridot's ear.  "What ever you're going through, you can tell me.  It's okay."  "No!" Peridot suddenly yelled, surprising herself and Lapis.  "It's not okay!  You'll never understand.  Just, stay away from me and let me be, okay?!"  She stood up quickly and walked away, not even caring to pick up her broken phone on the floor.  Lapis looked at where Peridot had left, mouth slightly open with a saddened expression on her face.  "She's right," Lapis thought to herself, picking up her purse that she carried around everywhere.  "I don't understand.  But I can, if she's willing to tell me.  Lapis left, thinking of a good excuse to tell her professor why she had come to class 10 minutes late.

~~~~~~~~~~

A/N NOTE:  Oh my stars, thank you for all the encouragement to keep writing this fanfic!  You guys make me so happy~  If there's any grammatical/spelling errors, please tell me!  Sorry for waiting so long to post this, I'll make the next chapter soon if you guys want it.  Also, sorry if you don't know what special time of the month means, if you don't, then just ignore it.  Thanks again for all the support!