chapter sixteen

Najeeb

Have you ever heard of the saying: 'no condition is permanent?. Well I have. And its funny how whenever you are feeling sad you seem to remember this saying. It brings comfort to our mind knowing that our situation will change.

There are times when you hate that saying, because you would give everything to make the happy moments permanent. When all is well and the laughter never seizes. When I was little, my life was full of happiness and laughter. My parents were the epitome of true love, always clinging to each other if you know what I mean. Those moments, I will give anything to bring it back.

Unfortunately, that blasted saying, no condition is permanent.

I never really liked physics, but it had its perks, I mean I learnt equilibrium.

In equilibrium, they saw the need to balance the equation. So basically life is an equilibrium, there was the good times and the bad times, light and darkness. Why feel the need to balance it anyway? Light? good things? Why the need to balance everything?

I was sixteen when I lost my parents, fire it was. They got burnt in the house when I was at school. The police report said there was gas leakage. So I was all alone, had to fend for myself because let's face it, I wouldn't survive if I hadn't. Yet again, no condition is permanent.

I made it in life. I became a successful lawyer. At the age of twenty-eight I met sofiyya. It was on a Friday night, I was on my way back home when I met her. She was the perfect description of damsel in distress. Sofiyyah was lost, in tears, sick and homeless. I helped her and took her to the imam of our neighbourhood a good man, never shies from helping people. Imam Abubakar gladly accepted her and gave her a place to stay until she can be on her own two feet.

I fell in love with her eventually and we got married soon after. Sofiyyah was a sweetheart and I couldn't help but be smitten with her. And with her I finally had my happiness once again, she brought back the smile I had lost, Sofiyyah gave my life a purpose. They say Allah's blessings come in disguise and she was one of those blessings but like I said before, life is an equilibrium; there are the good times and the bad times. The bad times caught up with me when I lost Sofiyyah...and our unborn child.

I was devastated.

There is neither happiness nor misery in the world; there is only the comparison of one state with another, nothing more. He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness.

-Alexandre Dumas

But my faith in Allah never faltered. I always knew he was there, watching over me and he will surely give my life peace and purpose. After all he is As-salaam. Hope, I never lost it.

And then I met Amal, lurking in the enemy territory no doubt clueless about the danger that lies there. I had to help her she was after all another victim of the assasins. Being in her company I came to care for her, she was like the sister I never had, she is a very kind person but stubborn nonetheless. I couldn't for the life of me understand why Hameed will want to hurt her, the knowledge of leaving her with him in that house all the time has been eating me up, constantly thinking that he will harm her in any way has never left me.

I failed her.

I put her in harm's way.

I listened to her, and risked her life just like I did with sofiyya.

When I lost Sofiyya I was broken, I was shattered, my whole life was ruined then I promised never again will I feel how I felt then but then there came Amal, and like before I lost her, also this time to the most horrible of fates, with the Assasins.

'don't worry boss we will get her.' Nolan's voice brought me out of my reverie, I looked up at him. We were back at the warehouse with the team trying all possible ways to get Amal back. Every single second that passed was a second closer to losing Amal, I will never forgive myself for this. All of this is my fault, I sent her there right into the lion's den. She is pregnant for Allah's sake!

'is there any luck with the signal?' I asked. Nolan was trying to pick up on the signal of the communicator she had with her,if he manages to get it back we can track it and get her location. That is if they hadn't noticed it yet, which is very unlikely afterall we are talking about the most equipped assasins.

Ya Allah help us.

Nolan was quiet for some time and I can't help but feel anxious. The hesitation only meant one thing; things are bad, really bad.

'Nothing yet, boss.' He answered.

This is all my fault, I won't sit around waiting for a miracle to happen. I will bring Amal back!!!