Chapter twenty

Amal

She woke up with a start and wondered where she was. She tried moving her hand to her face so she could rub the stubborn sleep that refused to ware-off, but to her amazement, her hands jerked back and she heard the sound of chains jiggling. Just like that everything comes running back to her. The assassins, the gala, the office...getting caught. And she gasped.

She was in that dreadful place! She was in there for like three days, or maybe it was more or just a day? Amal could not really say seeing as she was in this dreadful place which was full of darkness. She was all alone in the disgusting place, no one ever came in though she heard voices right outside the walls but she was yet to meet a face and that is killing her.

She watched all those movies and she thought they were going to torture her day and night until she gives them the name of her partners, but to her disappointment, they didn't feel the need to waste their assassin time on someone like her or they just simply left her for the dead.

She has been in here for days with no food or water, or anyone to talk to. The disgusting place was very huge with tall walls; there was only a single window at the far top of the large room. That was the only source of light that she manages to know what the time actually is, there was a little ray of light coming through the window and Amal guessed it was daybreak. She wasn't so lucky as her new friend Phiona.

Phiona was a sweetheart. She has large dark eyes that turn golden sometimes; she always listens to Amal's bickering without any complain. She finds Amal's gown very, very, attractive that she couldn't take her paws off it. Amal was glad to have someone to talk to all these while, though the conversation was one sided, but look on the bright side, Phiona meows.

Phiona is a cat. A very adorable one at that!

Amal was shackled while standing. Her hands were tied wide apart on a metal rod that was some inches away from her head. Her feet were free though but her arms were hurting like hell. All she wants was for her hands to be free; she wants to put them down because her shoulder blades feel like they are going to fall off. Let's not start on her thirst! She hasn't eaten or drank anything since she was captured.

Amal hunged her head low as her tears fell to the floor, she wondered how she got here? She was a simple housewife in her house with her lovely husband but just in a blink of an eye, everything changes. Everything turned upside down, and what pains more is the undeniable fact, that she can't do anything whatsoever to stop it. She is doomed!

Amal was so consumed with self-pity that she didn't hear the commotion just outside the walls of her worst nightmare. Then, she heard the locks being open she couldn't see who the intruder is but she could make out the silhouette of a man. Her heartbeat increased frantically, she felt her blood drained. This was it, her end was finally here!

'Don't let anyone in, whatever the case might be.'

It only took that command for her heartbeat to double twice its pace, if that was even possible. She was so sure she was going to get a heart attack just by hearing the voice. She didn't know what to feel, what to think but one feeling was certain and very confusing, for what she felt was HOPE!

Hameed!

Hearing his voice alone gave her peace, hope, and finally strength. She has no idea what was going to happen between them, or what he thinks of her. Why was she worried about what he thinks of her! Shouldn't he be thinking that?! For he was the one who broke her trust!

She was lost in her thoughts when she felt his hands on her face, he angled her face so he can see her properly. He kissed her lips gently, and touched his forehead to hers, he gently went to the chains and unchained her. As he finished unlocking the other hand, she slumped on him and he held her firmly. He kissed her head and held her tightly to him. Hameed carried her towards the end of the dungeon while he sat down on the floor with his back against the wall, he held her on his lap and she melted in him, heart beating in sync, she was his better half and he was hers. No logic can explain what he feels for her; for he himself could not explain it and he knew without a doubt that she feels the same. For their souls was one!

'I will kill him'. He muttered under his breath. That was a vow.

She looked up and their eyes locked on each other's, time stopped. It was only him and her, it was only them and in that moment she knew nothing mattered, not even her hurting hands, not even her hunger, it was just them... their love.

'How long?' he asked and she blinked.

'How long have you known?' he asked again with pained expression.

She moved away from him and settled on the floor close to him. Hameed felt bad, he wished she didn't move away from him, he wanted to feel her close to him, to have the assurance that she will be there, with him. He was being selfish; he couldn't ask that of her, not when as of yesterday, his whole existence was in ending her father's life.

'How could you do this to me? how could you break my trust? My love? My heart? My life? How could you do this to me?' Amal asked huskily. He heard her voice sounding so strong and he was surprised at how strong she sounded, her voice never wavered, not even once! He realised she was a very strong woman and he hated himself for hurting her.

'you broke me in many ways, many ways that no one will ever do so. You used me. In order to achieve your goals, you used me. My whole life I loved you, I lived for you. You were my happiness, my prince charming, my silver lining, my knight in freaking shining armour!' she yelled and her words were like an arrow shot straight to his heart. He felt his heart clench in pain and he felt like he was suffocating. He might have broken her, but along the way, he also broke himself. For their souls was one!