Chapter Two: Second School, Second Move and Tears

• Dedicated to my friends Ina, Titus and my Grandpa

When I think of my second school, I think of sepia. I have no idea why.

It was a cream colored two-storey building. They had grass, a running field and dogs. It was a Catholic private school. I had forgotten how the uniforms looked like. (Public and private schools in my country all have uniforms.)

I was supposed to be in third grade, but they had a different way of doing things. You had to take this exam and they'll put you to whatever grade level they think you're most suited. I passed the exam for third grade.

I forgot how my first day went. The seating arrangement was by height. It favored me because I was the shortest kid in class, I sat in the front row. My eyes are bad, I always had to squat infront of the chalkboard to see something.

I made a friend. Her name was Ina. She was pale, chubby and had short hair. She was a milimeter shorter than me and we often argued on who's shorter. I was taller, and I did not want to be first in line during every single event, breaktime, dismissal and library time.

We would ask our friend Titus (it's his family name) to check who's taller and he'd take my side.

"No, no, no! I AM taller! Titus, please say I'm taller!", Ina would stand on her toes.

Titus had to agree with her, and I had to jump. My wavy pigtails would occasionally slap my face in the process. Ina would pout and step on the chair.

"You can't sit on the desk so you looooose!" Ina would stick her tongue and wait for me to give up. Then, she'd jump back down.

I hated being first in line, I hated leading the class when I was the new kid. On the first day to the library, I was completely troubled.

"Ina, please take my spot. Just once, please? Pretty please? I don't know where---"

"Sandy, Sandy, Sandy. It's just next the canteen. I'll tell you if you'll hit a tree so just walk.", Ina giggled.

I did not mislead my classmates into a tree. Library time was fun, there were lots of books with pictures. We also had library cards, which I never learned to use.

During lunch time, people who lived close were allowed to go home so I always went home for lunch. Ina and Titus would stay in school.

Mom would have prepared the food. I'd leave my books on the table and the assignment list. My school gave homeworks on every single subject, which my mom volunteered to do. I would eat slowly and head back with my nanny to school. She also helped mom do homeworks. I owe them a lot.

Those days, math had a lot of memorization. We had to recite the whole multiplication table or we'll never leave the room. I forgot how those days went, but I'm pretty sure I was never stuck in the room.

T.G.I.F. Fridays were the best. Classes were halfday and we got to bring toys, it should be educational but Ina always brought her barbies. That's when I confirmed she was rich. She had a lot of them, all kinds, all accesories, and all sorts of clothes! I only had one, and she did not have spare clothes. I had left her way back home, and those days, I'd wish that I brought her with me. It'd be nice to change her clothes for once.  

Nutrition month came and I joined a contest. I had to find the biggest squash ever, which my mom did. Titus also had joined the competiton and he got mad at me for joining as well. He didn't know I was joining, we wen't that close so that didn't make sense.

At the end of the day, he had a reason to be mad at me. I won.

His squash was almost round, mine was sort of flat, they weighed it and mine was a little heavier. There was no cash prize, so he had no reason to be upset. He ignored me after that.

The school year was divided into four quarters. It was September, exam week. Clouds added to the gloomy days of reviewing... and a sad news added to my grief.

My grandfather had gone weak, and he wished we would stay in his place so we could take care of him. My mom told grandpa that we were islands away from his place so we'd come late.

My mom agreed that I had to take my exams before returning so she and my brother left first. My nanny kept me company. On the last day of the exams, I told my friends I was going back. Ina cried. Titus seemed upset, we were friends again and he said he's forgiven me.

"I'll miss you guys... you're the best." I said.

The next day, my nanny and I left on a ferry, which turned out to be the worst ride ever. The sea was going crazy and I felt the ferry tip to the left and then to the right. It went up, fell back down. I thought I'd lose the lunch which I never had. The dreadful ride ended and we took a bus. I was dead tired and I slept the whole time. We reached grandpa's place.

Grandpa lived in a compound, the first house was ours. I headed to the second house, where he lived. I said hi, dizzily, and took his hand and placed it on my forehead.

"Mano po, Lolo", I said. 

Granpa gave a weak smile and hugged me. I said goodbye and went to our house. It was not our first house where I forever live, it was my dad's house. Dad knew that we had escaped and said his appologies.

I had a long sleep.

I woke up and looked through the window. My heart stopped.

Just outside the window was an ambulance. I went out immediately and saw my aunts and uncles carrying my grandpa... I had no idea what happened. I wanted to cry but I was already crying. 

Grandpa never went home alive. 

He just waited for me.

That night, I cried 'til no tear fell.