Chapter Six: Fifth School and a Memorable Sixth Grade

Mom enrolled me to a school near home. It was a 10 minute ride by car. It was a small school, sky blue all over. The uniform was sky blue as well. The assembly area was really really small, and there were fewer students in this school than the one with monsters. This one had no high school level.

The were no pretentious pastors, just a strict looking principal and adorable young teachers.

On my first day, everything on me screamed "I AM A NEW STUDENT". I wore casual clothes and my bag was a huge blue box that killed me on my way to my room. Mom did not believe in backpacks. I think she should. A huge luggage, stairs and a thin girl simply didn't add up. I wiped my hair out of my face. I had no handkercheif as usual and sweat was all over me.

My hand reached for the doorknob. My pulse increased, I could hear my heartbeat. 

Inside the room were 12 students. 

The girls wore sky blue uniform. One of the girls hard brown curls and looked like she was half a different race. She smiled sweetly. The rest of the girls were too girly, they looked like they could be high school students, the smiled slightly.

 I sat next to the girl with curls. Her skin was darker than the rest of the class, she turned to me. I saw her huge brown eyes. They sparkled and she flashed me a smile.

"Hello, I'm Donna."

"Sandra"

 We became bestfriends.

Around November, the teachers asked us, the 6th graders to audition for the school play. The foundation day was getting close... and they needed cast prepared. I got the lead role, "Esther".

We practiced a lot. Xerxes the King, Mordecai and Haman were my classmates. The rest of the cast came from grades 4 and 5..Vashti came from 5th grade and was Xerxes' girlfriend-- I mean my classmate's girlfriend. Esther's attendants were 4th graders. Eventually I became friends with 4th graders due to the practices. It was the best school year of my elementary life! After the performance itself, those 4th graders were still my friend. We hanged out in the canteen, laughed together.

During those days, I also spent a lot of time with a math tutor. He was a sophomore in college back then. My mom teased me to that person. All I thought was that he was so oooold. Each day I had to spend at least 2 hours with him and all he really did was ask me to answer tons of questions, then he'd be texting or sleeping. Occassionally his family would feed me. I loved it when they gave me desserts.

Anyway...Donna told me she was returning to Sri Lanka after graduation. Her dad thought that staying in this country would make her less conservative. I still believed that no matter what influence, you can stay as you are. But I never met his dad. Her mom was kind...but their minds didn't change.

After graduation, we took a picture.... and.... I never saw her again.

The tiring math hours with my tutor paid off. I passed the entrance exam of the best school in my city.