Highschool Lover (Part 2)

Against your better judgement, you decided to get coffee with Chris. You didn't even like coffee but for some reason you wanted to talk to him. You felt like you were betraying Ian, but It was just coffee and a talk. What's wrong with that? As you two talked to the coffee shop, it felt like old times. For a quick moment, you even wanted him to hold your hand. You then had to remind yourself of Ian. You were in love with Ian and nothing could change that. You two walked in and he held out the door for you. He then pulled out a chair for you. He had always been a gentlemen, but for some reason this meant a lot to you. Even though you two weren't together, you could tell that he still cared. You two ordered coffee and finally began talking.

"So...how have you been?" He asked.

"I've been good. How've you been" You replied.

"When did you move back? Wait, why did you even move back?"

"Well, I was fired from my job and I just had nobody there. I was all alone."

"It's hard to believe that you were all alone. I mean, who wouldn't want to be around you?"

"Lots of people apparently...but what have you been up to?"

"I've just been here, I'm an architect. I don't get out much. But I'm happy here, and I'm happy your here."

"In happy here too."

"I don't want to pry or anything, but I did hear that you had a boyfriend." He said with a laugh.

"Let me guess, my mom told you." You said while laughing, "But I do have a boyfriend. His name is Ian."

"Well, he's a lucky guy." He looked directly into your eyes when he said this. After talking for about two hours, it was time to go. He opened the door for you and you stopped to look at the sunset. He stopped to look as well, but instead of looking at the sky, he was looking at you. He all of a sudden blurted out:

"I'm sorry."

"What?"

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not fighting for you...for not fighting for us. I'm sorry for not keeping in touch and I'm sorry for not saying that I loved you enough, because I did love you. I do love you. You will always be the one that got away."

"Thank you... For saying all of that. I'm sorry too. You know, I did love you too. I mean, you were my first love. I think a part of me will always love you. But I am happy, with Ian. I think I'm in love with him."

"I'm happy that you've found someone. You deserve it. I just want the best for you, even if it's not with me."

You spent that night thinking about what Chris had said. It definitely surprised you. Maybe this was the closure you needed. Maybe now you could say "Ian I'm in love with you" and be fully confident that you were.

The Next Day
You slept well having the closure that you needed. You were determined to tell Ian that you were in love with him right when he got back. Tonight was Summer and Jordan's engagement party. You had found out that Chris would be there, you knew it would be kind of awkward but you were fine with it. You wanted to be friends with him, if it was possible. You decided to call Summer and ask her what you should wear. You hadn't found anything at the mall but you had a ton dresses that would do.

"Hey Sum, I was just wondering what I should wear tonight? Like is there a certain thing I should wear or a dress code or whatever?"