Chapter 1 - Eighteen

Hey guys,

I wanted to apologize for how long it took me to publish this. I just went back to school and haven't had the time to sit down and write. I'm going to keep trying to publish a chapter once a week but it will probably be more like once every two weeks. I hope you enjoy this chapter!

~

As I do my hair in a fancy up-do for my 18th birthday I notice that my charcoal black hair shines in a magical manner beneath the light above my mirror. I finish adding the last touch to my hair and turn around to take look at my outfit before I leave. My shimmering eggplant dress falls just above my ankles, revealing my strappy silver heels. As I grab my purse my mother calls me down stairs.

"Etheral hurry up or you'll miss your own birthday"

"I'm coming" I yell as I head for the stairs

As I descend the spiral staircase Daniel lets out a whistle.

"You look fine tonight madam" Daniel says in a mocking English accent

I giggle at his comment and take his extended hand for the last few steps of the staircase. Daniel is dressed up in a navy blue tux with black dress shoes to go with it. Once I reach the bottom of the staircase Daniel wraps his arms around me in a brotherly hug. Once Daniel releases me from his hug I look at my mother as she stands with her camera in her hand and tears starting to form in her eyes.

"Mum it's only my eighteenth birthday. It's not like I'm leaving forever" I say as I wrap her in my embrace

"I know, you've just grown to become so beautiful and I know you will do amazing things" she replies as she wipes the tears from her face. "Picture time!" She squeals

Daniel and I approach each other and start posing for the photos. Once our photo shoot comes to an end Daniel and I hug mother goodbye and head out the door towards Daniels car. As we pull out the driveway Daniel looks over and smiles at me.

"So where are we going?" I ask

"You'll have to wait and see" says Daniel with a big grin on his face

As I sit there in the silence of the car I try to imagine what Daniel has planned for the rest of the night. The next 20 minutes of the car ride were in complete silence and I got whisked away into one of my daydreams.

"Etheral, close your eyes" says Daniel breaking the silence

I close my eyes and feel the car turn right.

"Can I open my eyes?" I ask as the car comes to a stop

"No keep them closed. I'll help you out of the car" responds Daniel

Daniel opens my door and grabs my hand to help down the step out of his truck.

As Daniel leads me down what feels like a gravel path, I hear water running up ahead. All of a sudden the gravel beneath my feet disappears and I start walking uphill on what feels like wood. In this moment I realize I'm walking over a bridge. All of a sudden Daniel stops and let's go of my hand.

"You can open your eyes now" whispers Daniel

As I open my eyes a small island lit with lanterns reveals itself. The island is in the middle of a small lake surrounded by a forest. In the center of the island is a picnic table draped with a gorgeous white cloth. Upon a second glance I realize there's a small dance floor and there are other people waiting for me on the island. Before we head toward the island I turn to Daniel.

"You're the best big brother ever," I say as I give him a big Hugo

"I know" he replies sarcastically