1

Chapter 1

Forgot to mention this is a highschool AU because I'm a slut for highschool AUs.

(Atsushi's POV)

-

He's done it before

He'll do it again.

I've heard the names.

I've endured.

I've felt both the mental and the physical pain.

I've endured.

No matter how many times it's happened, it'll keep going.

I still feel it.

I'm just better at hiding it.

I walked up the multiple staircases, dreading lunch. Though it doesn't count as lunch if you've lost your food, does it?

Every footstep brought me closer. Closer to fear. Closer to a feeling that shouldn't be felt. Closer to him.

Ryunosuke Akutagawa.

Along with many other students, he was already at the rooftop when I got there.

I immediately decided to walk in the opposite direction of where he was sitting. Sometimes, it worked to just avoid him; this wasn't a constant. Glancing behind me for a split second revealed that he was setting his lunch aside.

Shit.

Just keep walking. maybe he has other priorities.

Yeah, right.

I stopped in my tracks when I felt a hand on my shoulder. An unpleasantly familiar one at that. I turned around to face the living demon. His face was emotionless, but his eyes said "You're dead."

Before I could react, I had received a strong blow to my jaw. I stumbled back and held a hand to my cheek. I couldn't look at him. Instant pain pulled at the side of my face, I just wanted to leave.

As soon as I had regained balance, he looked me dead in the eyes and said, "That's all for now," he turned around and began walking, "Why don't you haul your ass to the nurse. She seems to be your best friend by now." I sighed at the clever insult.

"Just know I'll be back for you."

-

I guess he wasn't quite wrong though, I'd had enough conversations with her to consider her a friend.

Even if she did seem a bit twisted.

With my face pulsing in pain, and multiple faces looking in my direction as stood there like the disappointment I am, I started my way back down the stairs. How many ice packs had I used this month so far? I counted in my head on my way.

3?

4 now.

-

"I just don't see how the other staff members haven't noticed. Makes me sick." Dr. Yosano said, almost as if talking to herself. I sat up on the pale olive bed holding an icepack wrapped in brown paper towels to my bruised jaw.

The cold was almost unbearable, and it wouldn't go numb any time soon.

"I don't think it's that they haven't noticed. They definitely have." I replied with the slightest hint of abhor in my voice. She looked at me from her cramped-looking office desk.

"Then what do you think it is?"

"They can't be bothered with the crap of two random people when the freshmen are the ones starting mostly all of the fights."

"Nakajima, you're a freshman."

"Well, sure, but I'm never the one who starts it!" I said rather loudly, making an unnecessarily big hand gesture.

And, as if to taunt me further, she added, "Ryunosuke is also a freshman, and you've been on about how he always starts the fights."

"But they aren't technically fights, it's just Akutagawa being a-" I cut myself off. I didn't come here for detention, even though Dr. Yosano probably wouldn't care if I cursed.

Yeah, she's pretty chill about that stuff.

"I don't particularly like the kid either, if I'm honest."

And with that, the end of lunch bell rang.

I stood up and handed the icepack back to the nurse, heading out to class with what was probably one of the worst bruises I've ever had where everyone could see.

At least it's Friday.

At least I have two days to recover after this. Not like this afternoon'll be any fun.