5. Donovan

October 12th, 1953

It was my sixteenth birthday. I had no one by my side and I felt really lonely. Anna had been on vacation, and she was really my only friend. I was sad when she told me she was going for a while, who else did I really have besides her? I sat alone at lunch when these three girls walked up to me and sat across from me.

"Happy birthday, Janice." The black-haired one said kindly. I knew she didn't like me. She's fake, like everyone else in this school.

"Thank you.." I replied quietly.

"So what are you doing for your birthday? Anything special?" She asked politely. Almost too nice.

"You can stop trying to be nice to this bitch, Jasmine. She's a fucking loser." One of the other girls said. I just looked over at her and sighed. I'm used to this, I guess.

"I was just trying to do my good deed for the day. You know, for good karma and stuff. Whatever." Jasmine said and the both of them laughed.

I wasn't upset. I felt nothing. I won't waste my energy and get upset over her, well now at least. But later, she'll see why she shouldn't have messed with me.

Suddenly, a boy with brown hair walked over to me and sat down next to me.

"Hi, I heard it's your birthday today. That's what I heard from Bianca, at least." The boy said, referring to the blonde haired girl from earlier.

"Yeah. Are you gonna say something rude too?" I asked him.

"No.. I actually want to get to know you. You seem nice and I think you're beautiful. Your name's Janice right?" He kindly asked.

I knew I was blushing by now. "Yes. What's your name?" I asked him. No one ever said I was beautiful before. I was starting to think this was some joke on me or a game.

"Donovan. So what did those girls say to you earlier?" He asked. "You look kind of upset."

"The one wished me a happy birthday as a joke, I guess. Bianca I'm assuming called me a loser and a bitch. I don't even know them. Great birthday for me, don't you think?" I said to him.

He looked shocked. "Wow, that's terrible. Why would anyone say that?" He asked. "Especially if they don't know you. No one has the right to judge if they don't know a thing about your life." He looked upset for me.

I didn't say anything. I just looked at him.

"I'm sure you're a wonderful person inside and out. They didn't take the time to even try to know you. But I can. You're not a loser, or a bitch. I promise you that. Don't listen to what they say to you." He told me.