7. Flames

I immediately let myself in because the door was unlocked. I ran to Anna, who was hanging with a noose around her neck.

I couldn't breathe and I started to cry. She was dead.

My only friend, the closest I had to me, was dead. Who knows how long she had been like this.

I ran to the phone hanging on the wall and immediately called the police. My hands were shaky as I dialed the number.

Soon, Anna's parents were home and the police and ambulance cars had surrounded the house. Anna's parents were devastated, the ambulance took her body on a stretcher, and the police investigated the area.

I was broken. All I had was taken from me. I ran down the street and to my house and I ran up the stairs to my room, slamming the door shut.

I cried and cried. I was angry. Why did she do this? Why did she take her own life? She was all I had, the only friend that stood by me for years.

I screamed out in anger and the curtains hanging around my window and set on fire. Flames filled the room. Dark, thick smoke started filling the room. I was angry. And I couldn't control myself.

I then had to stop myself before I would be dead. I shut my eyes tight and opened them after a few seconds. The flames were gone, but the burnt curtains and dark smoke remained.

The telephone rang and I tried to gain control of my breathing, before picking up the phone and answering.

"Janice? Are you okay?" Donovan sounded worried and upset, I guess from the tone of my voice.

I explained to him what happened and he was horrified. He told me he would come pick me up right away to see me and comfort me.

Soon we were parked somewhere looking at a lake. It was getting dark outside. We remained silent, because I was heart broken but his presence comforted me and I was grateful for that at least.

"I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Your best friend. I know how special she was to you." Donovan told me. I just looked over at him and tears trickled down my face. I was so angry but I was doing everything in my power to calm myself down and keep everything under control.

"She was all I had." I told him.

"You have me now. I'll be here for you, I really like you Janice. I know we're still new to each other, but there's something about you. I will be your shoulder to cry on if you need, I'll make sure you're okay." He explained to me and leaned a little slower, making the air in the small vehicle thicker.

It's only been less than a month since meeting him, but I could feel myself slowly falling for him. I didn't deserve him.