17

I woke up to the sound of someone knocking on my door. I reached out to grab my phone to check what time it was. 7:21.

Why would they wake me up so early?

"Tyler? Can I come in?" I heard my dads voice speak.

"Sure."

My door opened revealing a rather sad looking face from my father.

I knew right away something was wrong.

He closed the door behind him and started walking to sit on my bed.

"Why did you wake me up this early?" I asked.

"Well... Um.. Josh is in the hospital Tyler."

My heart stopped. My face went pale. I felt like I was still dreaming.

"He... Um.. Well.. He was in a car accident due to drunk driving."

Josh doesn't drink?

"Dad, funny joke." I forced a laugh. "Josh doesn't even drink."

"He kept on asking for you. So, I'm taking you to see him."

And at that moment, I knew my life would change forever.

I put on Josh's skeleton hoodie again, and slipped on a pair of black skinny jeans that had a rip in the knee due to running around in the forest.

I stepped into my dads car, and buckled up. A couple on minutes later we were there.

Stepping into the emergency room was like stepping into another dream. It all felt so unreal. Josh wasn't in the hospital. He was at home in the treehouse waiting for me to get home. We were still dating. And he was going to hug me and kiss me.

And then we got to room 228. The room number I will always hate.

And when I got inside, I saw a boy with bright red hair, attached to wires, with blood cover everywhere.

This can't be real.