Chapter Four: Bye Darrin

Vicky Parrish

Throughout the next year Darrin and I kinda split. We don't talk like we used to and we don't hang out. He's got his friends and I got mine.

"It's summer time Victoria you need to go outside." My mother said and I rolled my eyes.

"I don't want to go outside." I said quickly texting my friends back.

"Go outside and don't come back until dinner time." I was pulled from the couch and thrown outside.

Janay had texted me and told me to walk to her house. I didn't have a problem with that seeing as I have nothing to do.

"Hey." I said sitting on the front porch steps.

"I thought you'd never leave yo house especially in that." Janay eyed my outfit and rolled her eyes.

I looked down at my attire. A white tee shirt with some blue shorts and my white huaraches.

"Why you say that?" I asked her with a slight attitude.

"Cuz you so insecure about yo body it's ridiculous."

"I just don't walk out her like Tanisha in them little ass shorts and crop tops." I replied to her comment.

"You right." She said popping her gum.

Little did she know I hated my body deep down inside. I had gained a lot of weight since middle school. I had big thick thighs and a growing stomach. I wanted to be like skinny girls.

****
"Why did Keyshawn want us to walk to the basketball court anyway?" I asked Janay having a attitude.

"She wanted us to hang out with her. Stop being so boring."

"I'm just tired that's all."

"You always tired."

By the time we made it to the basketball court I spotted Keyshawn. Her braids sat in a bun and she had on a flower headband.

We sat on the bench watching little kids run around the park and boys play ball. But one guy caught my eye.

"Girl, is that Darrin over there?" I asked Keyshawn and Janay.

I didn't have my ugly glasses on.

"Yeah that is him. Y'all haven't spoken since the eight grade right?" Key asked me and I nodded.

"Who is that girl with him?" I was squinting so hard.

"That's Tanisha hoe ass." Janay said and I rolled my eyes.

"Why is he fucking with her?" I asked myself.

"They been fucking with each other since ninth grade." Keyshawn filled me in on their relationship.

I guess it's my fault since we never talked after the first couple months of high school. With tenth grade coming up I knew he would still be fucking with Tanisha.

"Look at them looking like a actual couple. That should be you." Janay said and I cringed.

"I don't need a boyfriend and when I get one it certainly won't be him."