Chapter Fifteen: Proposal

Vicky Parrish
Another Year Later

I was sleep when I felt two drops in the bed. Little fingers poked my cheeks.

"Yes." I mumbled out.

"Mommy come on wake up!" Aaron said and I opened my eyes.

"What does your father want?" I asked knowing Darrin only sends the kids to wake me up when he wants something.

"Daddy has a surprise for you." Ashanti said and I cursed under my breath.

I sat up on the king sized bed and pulled my bonnet off. My wild curls went everywhere as I helped the twins off the bed.

"Did y'all brush y'all teeth yet?" I asked them knowing Darrin didn't say anything about it to them.

"No." they both said at the same time.

"What y'all eat for breakfast?"

"Daddy said we could have ice cream." Aaron answered smiling at me.

I swear Darrin is such a dumb ass sometimes. The last time he told the kids they could have sweets for breakfast they had a sugar rush all day. Being two and having a sugar rush is not good.

"Come on." I told them .

I helped them do their daily hygiene routines. I thought I told Darrin that they need to start learning how to be clean when they wake up.

"Go get dressed. I'll let y'all pick out what y'all want to wear this time." I said smiling and they ran out the bathroom.

I quickly took a shower and got dressed in some ripped jeans and a white shirt. I slowly walked down the steps to see Darrin in the kitchen cooking.

"Good morning baby." Darrin said as he cut my pancakes into hearts.

I gave him a confused face as he kissed my lips. He looked at me and smiled and blushed.

"Darrin what the fuck you trynna do?" I asked confused.

He laughed and slide over my breakfast. The plate was decorated with heart shaped pancakes, they were covered with powdered sugar, and I had hashbrowns, eggs, and grits too.

I was halfway through my plate when I heard little feet slam against the tile floor.

"Mommy." Aaron said and I looked over at him.

"Hey baby boy. What's wrong?" I asked him.

He lifted his arms up and sat him on my lap. Aaron was always attached to me the more than Ashanti. He was a mommas boy. Even though I'm not his biological mother I consider him my son.

"You need to stop babying him." Darrin said as he held a sleeping Ashanti.

"And you need to stop spoiling her." I told Darrin as I finished my food.

Ashanti was a daddy's girl. Darrin spoiled her and she always went to him when I told her no. She was smart at playing Darrin and I against each other.

"Where are we going now?" I asked knowing Darrin had more up his sleeve, I just couldn't put my finger on it.

"You are going to my moms house." Darrin said and then walked away.

****
"You want some popcorn?" Darrin's mother asked me.

"Did you add salt and hot sauce?" I asked her and she nodded her head and said yes.

"When your done you have to go to your old middle school to meet your parents." Ms. Tammy said and I gave her a look.

"What is Darrin doing?" I asked her hopping she would tell me.

"Umm....you need to go now." Miss Tammy pushed me out the door and I drove to the middle school.

There my parents sat on top of the van they had since I was eight. My mother smiled at me like I gonna get married or something.

She handed me a photo album of Darrin and I. Everything was in it from when we were eight years old.

"Where am I going next?" I asked my father.

"The pool."

****
Janay, Keyshawn, Reggie, and Raymond all sat in the parking lot.

I smiled at them as they handed me seventeen different colored flowers. 

"Darrin told us to send you back home now." With that they ran off into Raymond's car.

I drove all the way home. Darrin asked me to move in with him a year ago. It's been great ever since.

I pulled into the gates and drove up the long ass driveway. Once I pulled up all my family and Darrin's family sat in front of the house. Darrin was standing with a huge smile on his face.

I carried everything I had and walked up to him. Janay gave me a thumbs up and I playfully winked at her.

"Darrin your scaring me now. What's going on?" I was still confused but I shouldn't be.

"It's been seventeen years. Half of those years were spent ignoring each other but we a always found our way back to each other-" I cut him off.

"Wait. You sent me to your moms house and I had popcorn. The first time we met I jumped on your couch and told you to put some salt and hot sauce on your popcorn. Then you took me to our middle school. And then you took me to the pool where we almost kissed. And these roses are for the seventeen yours we've been together." I said starting to tear up. He remembered everything.

"So I'm asking Victoria Parrish will you marry me?" He asked and I get a tear fall from my eye.

"Yes."