Chapter 1 - Arrival to Hinterzarten

It was a hot July morning in my Liberec home when an alarm woke me up. My phone was ringing like crazy. I checked it. "Richard Schallert" was the text on my phone. I picked it up and answered with a sleepy voice.

"Ahoj, Richard! Here is František." I said.

"Hello Fanda. I just want to tell you that we are going to have a trainings camp in Hinterzarten. I am counting on you as well. So, please pack your stuff as quickly as you can. I am driving to you to pick you up to go to Prague Airport." he told me with excitement in his voice.

"Who will come along with us?" I asked.

"Well, let me see my list... Vojta, Daminos, Viktor, Tomáš, Honza, Lukas, Jan, Roman, Čestmir and Saku." he replied "I have to put the phone down. So see you Fanda."

He put the down and I started to pack my stuff. For one moment, I looked up for a moment on my desk. On that I saw a framed photo of me and Vojta. We were best buddies even if Vojta was 3 years older than me. I smiled at the photo and continued the packing. I searched for my passport and ID card. I rushed to the kitchen to have a small breakfast with my family. When the doorbell rang, I hugged my little brother, my mum and my dad and left at 8. I got into Richard's car. I waved to my family and then sat between Vojtĕch and Honza. We talked a lot and laughed at loud a lot while we were on our way to Prague airport.

We arrived just in time cause we always need 4 hours to check in and do the regular stuff at the airport. This time we were fast but I didn't expect the rivalry between Vojta and Damian. My friends started an argument which was ended by Honza and Roman. It seemed that it had started way back in winter when Vojta was a World Cup jumper. Maybe Daminos was mad at Vojtĕch for this. I didn't know it that day. I checked my ticket and tried to find Saku and Vojta who was really mad after the argument. I didn't say a word or asked anything about the argument. However, when we sat down, Vojta started talking to me. I felt the sadness in his voice.

"František, I fear that I and Daminos are enemies." he told me.

"I don't think so."

"I wish you were right like you always are." Vojta added

"I think you two can solve your problems with each other."

"Fanda, please understand that we can't make it up now. It's impossible! Daminos hates me with burning passion." he started crying. "If I die too soon because of a murder, Damian is my murderer for sure."

"Vojta, you are stupid and don't talk crap. Damian wouldn't kill you. He will calm down like he usually does." I comforted him.

"Okay. Maybe you are right." Vojtĕch sighed.

After my conversation with Vojta, we got on the plane. I sat between Tomáš and Damian. I wanted to ask why Damian was so mad at Vojta but remained silent. I didn't want to start a fight between the boys. I listened to music. Tomá and Damian were asleep so, I could walk to Vojta. I was worrying about him because he was nervous. If he was nervous, he could get sick easily on trains and in cars. I wasn't sure if he was fine. Thankfully, he was okay. I told him that I hadn't asked Daminos about it as I didn't want one more argument between them.

After landing in Stuttgart, we rushed to the train station. Richard bought the tickets for us. I was calling my parents to tell them that we landed safely. Everything was alright. On the train I sat next to Vojta who had fallen asleep on my shoulders. We slept till we arrived to Freiburg. We changed to another train to Hinterzarten. When we arrived to the small city, Vojta accidentally stepped on Damian's foot.

"How dare you?!" Damian shouted at Vojta.

"I am terribly sorry Daminos... I am sorry." Vojtĕch apologised.

"Vojta, you don't care about no one just yourself!"

"Please forgive me, I accidentally stepped on your foot."

"No! It was on purpose!" he yelled at and slapped Vojta.

This argument made Richard to change his plan. He had to rearrange the roommates paper. Originally, I got Honza and Vojta got Damian. This was change. I got Damian to prevent the further fights between the two angry Czech. As I was putting my things into the wardrobe, I heard Damian sighing. When he left, I saw that he kept his diary opened. I decided to grab it and close it. I wish I hadn't see what was written it. "I wish he was dead." I read but I didn't take it seriously. I thought that Daminos had another conflict with someone else as well. So, I did not ask what he meant by "he" in his dairy. I would have made him even more annoyed at me than he was at Vojta. After 10 minutes he came back to our room. He saw that his dairy wasn't there where he left.

"Fanda, did you put away my dairy?" he asked.

"Well, yes I did. I just put it on your evening desk. I didn't want to damage it when I do a jump on the bed."

"Thank you very much Fanda."

"You are more than welcome, my friend... Can I have a question?" I said.

"Yes, you can. If you want to know about the situation between me and Vojta, I don't want to talk about it. It is hurting me a lot. Let this be enough for you." Damian answered.

"Thank you. You already answered my question. I respect what you have told and it is enough for me." I told him and sighed.

Suddenly, we heard a knock on our hotel room's door. The knocking person was just Vojtĕch Štrusa. He just wished us a good night. I wished him back but Daminos didn't say a word to him. He was still mad at my best friend. Vojta closed the door and went to sleep. I set the alarm to 7 am on my phone. I started to read a book in English, which was given by Vojta to me for my 18th birthday, but felt way too sleepy so I put my head on my pillow and fall asleep as soon as possible cause we had our very first training the next day.