Nostalgia

"Mmh, yes, I remember when I was excellent at archery." I say as I carry [s/n] in my arms, and walk around the house.
"Really? Can we play archery later?" The child insists with a large smile on his face and stars sparkling in his eyes. He remembered when Alfred used to be the same, always nagging me and Matthew to go to the river with him when we were still kids.
"Of course." I say and I stepped into the sitting room where Turold told me where [B/n] and [name] is. And I did see them there, sitting beside each other and speaking silently. So silent that they could be mistaken for whispering.
"Mother!" [S/n] suddenly exclaimed and i bit my lip. I put him down and watched him stagger towards [name] and stood by the doorway. She glanced at me and back down at [s/n].
"He needs to have his bandages changed in two hours. And he shouldn't walk much." I say as less awkward as I could, but it still came out that way.
"Have you seen Alfred?" I ask them and [B/n] looked up at me.
"For what?"
"I want to express my gratitude to him. If it weren't for him, Lady Elisa and [s/n] would be Welsh slaves."
I felt a light tap on my shoulder and turned around and saw Alfred standing behind me with a grin on his face.
"I heard my name." He muttered to me and I stepped back a bit.
"Follow me." I say and went out of the room and into the bridge and he followed me.
"What is it?" He asked.
"I want to thank you for what you have done. And so I shall knight you. You've been waiting patiently, haven't you?" I said and looked up at him, and his eyes are teary and shiny.
He broke the gaze and blinked his tears away, nibbling on his lips in astonishment.
"I-I..." he started, but stopped. He looked at me again and knelt down on his left foot.
"I will serve you and I swear not to dishonour nor stain your name, your highness."
"My lord."
"My lord." I pursed my lips and helped him up.
"That is honestly uncalled for." I sigh and he just kept thanking me.
"Fine, fine, you're welcome. I will knight you before I set out for Wales."

---

"Keep your arms still," I mutter as I firmly held [s/n]'s wrists and hold it firm at place as he aims for the archery butts. I slowly release his wrists, and his arms started wobbling again. He released the string of the bow and the arrow came flying and pierced the very outside line of the archery butt.
"That's an improvement." I say with satisfied grin and patted [s/n] on the head.
"Father, why don't you show me?" He asked as he looks at me.
"I guess I could." I shrug and took my bow. The bow that Sir John gave me when I was still a knight. I lifted the bow and put the arrow's butt against the string, the strung slipping on the butt's small slit, and the string extends far apart as I pull the arrow away from the base of the bow. I keep the other end of the arrow by loosely wrapping my right index around it and I held my breath. I closed my left eye and aimed the arrow at the red circle in the middle of the archery butt. I take one, soft but shallow breath, and released the string. The arrow came flying and pierced the middle of the archery butt. Bullseye!
I smile to myself and put my bow and arrows down.
"That's great, father!" [S/n] exclaimed. "I wish I could be as good as you are!"
"You will be. Just practice and stay committed to it." I say and lifted [s/n] up.
"I'm sorry, Arthur, but the horse are ready." Merlin said as he joined us in the yard. I turn to look at him with a frown and sighed.
"You're going already?" [S/n] asks and I unfortunately, I do. I nod slowly and carefully puts him down.
"Don't worry, I'll be back in a few days."
"When you come back, I'll be able to shoot straight. I promise!" I chuckled and ruffled his hair.
"Of course. Good luck, son." His grin grew wider and he clung to my legs.
"I love you, father! Come back and we can hunt together!" I nod and gave Merlin a glance. He nodded and walked away.
"I love you too. Tell mother I love her too." He nodded and ran back inside while shouting:
"Farewell, father!"
I waved goodbye and walked towards the stables, where Merlin would be at by now.

Wales.

I lied again.

Wales is a week away. I would probably stay at the Welsh kingdom for three days, and the way back is another week.
I sigh sadly to myself and put my hand on my forehead. Why did it always have to be like this? I can't possibly take them with me. [Name] doesn't want to go to Camelot, and I possibly can't take [s/n] with me. He will miss his mother. I rubbed my temples and looked forward, only to see Merlin on his old, limp horse Sorry, while holding my horse, Mai's bridle.
"Don't worry, things will go perfectly fine for you." He said and I mount Mai. I didn't answer his statement, and we hurriedly galloped away from the manor.

VIII.