14 - Some call it love

I managed to get to school that Monday, despite mum's protests. I had still entered with a slight fever, but I wasn't going to skip. Hell to the no.

If I knew how that day was going to turn out though, I would never have went.

Terrence and I walked to the school compounds together, as we usually do whenever school starts. Just this time it was different because neither Connor nor Derek was waiting at the door of the school like they usually are.

I had expected it from Connor, but not Derek. Where was he?

"Some things have changed since Friday," Terrence told me softly, whispering into my ear.

I nodded at him as we walked to our lockers which were beside each other. I opened mine and got out my notebook, along with me textbooks for the classes I had before recess and put them into my bag. I slung it over my shoulder and waited for Terrence, who was still getting ready.

That was when complications first started. Normally, we would both - along with Connor and Derek of course - walk together to our respective classrooms together. However, Terrence and I shared the same first period, which was different from Connor and Derek, who both also shared the same first period. Our classes were on either side of the hall, so we would have to split ways at the lockers.

But because they weren't with us, we ran into them. Both of them. Well, not together, but we still ran into both Connor and Derek.

Luckily for me, we first bumped into Derek.

I had been walking, looking at my feet on the way to class. I didn't want to talk because I was still feeling rather tired from the sickness. But because I was looking down at my feet, I bumped into Derek.

"Sorry!" He exclaimed, his eyes widening.

But when he saw it was me, they widened even more. "Oh, Gin- I mean Miranda! I'm sorry!"

That was all he said before rushing last me. "Wait, Derek!"

I tried to stop him, but it seemed as though he didn't want to talk to me. Terrence smiled at me as a form of comfort and I sighed, looking back down on the floor.

Derek didn't even call me Ginger anymore, which kind of hurt considering that it was kind of his name of affection for me. For him to not do so kind of implies that we were no longer friends. And I actually liked Derek as a friend!

But what scared me most about that morning was my encounter with Connor, which happened pretty soon after.

So while I was upset over Derek, I started to smell his familiar scent. And habitually, I looked up, which was a huge mistake on my part.

Very huge.

As we momentarily made eye contact, it felt as if the breath had been knocked out if me and I couldn't breathe anymore. My heart squeezed in my chest and the tiny black dots dotted at my vision again. They mocked me flying around and making me lose my sight. My stomach fluttered and didn't stop, until my own body mechanisms kicked in and left me with a cramped stomach.

I could no longer stand, so I fell to the floor and clutched at my stomach, which hurt. A lot. I also tried my best to catch my breath and maybe get my heart rate normal again, but it wasn't happening. I took another look at Connor, who seemed to be looking right back at me. This made my stomach clench even tighter, making me have to breathe harder.

I could vaguely sense that Terrence was right by my side, and I was assuming the warm hand in mine was his. Now it felt like my head was going to explode, because I still couldn't get any air there.