Chapter Ten: Date

When they managed to step out of the carriage without looking towards one another, they looked around to find that they were in the town's square. The little coastal town was indeed a busy one. People walked all over, carrying, selling, making, playing, singing, and dancing.

Juvia took in the sight before her like a sponge. Everything was so new and unexpected in this world, but she was glad that not every discovery was a bad one. The atmosphere was happy and overall pleasant. It made her smile and forget about their current situation for just a moment.

She had come to a conclusion. She was going to enjoy this outing with her beloved and take her own advice by not worrying. If she worried, she wouldn't be herself, and if she wasn't herself, there wouldn't be much of a point to Gray actually taking her out on a date. Even if it could possibly be her last one.

Gray watched as she started to smile more naturally. He was relieved by the sight. No matter how many times she tried to show him how much she wasn't in pain, he could see in her eyes that she probably really was. It was strange to say the least, that she was hiding things from him that way. Granted, it was so he wouldn't worry, but at the same time, she was always so open with him before, to the point that he found it annoying at times.

She turned and tugged on his sleeve, snapping him out of his trance. When he looked up, he saw that she was brightly pointing towards some musicians playing various instruments and people dancing. He raised a curious brow as he looked back down at her. "You wanna go check it out?" She nodded eagerly and he returned her smile with a smirk. "Sure, why not?"

Her smile brightened even more as she started to skip over to the small band. He watched her carefully as she did so before following sult. When he stopped to stand next to her, she was watching the dancers with an obvious longing. Her head was already bobbing side to side in rhythm to the music.

She wished to dance, but knew better than to make such a straightforward move as to just grab his hands and start dancing with him. He wouldn't approve and just get upset. She knew that, but still wanted to so badly.

Gray wasn't blind. Juvia wanted to dance and it was written all over her face. Blood rushed to his cheeks at the mere thought. It so wasn't like him to even consider such an action, but maybe the fact that he was even willing to think it over was proof enough that he should take the chance of embarrassing himself. After clearing his throat, Juvia looked up at him in surprise. He didn't dare look down at her though. "J-Juvia..? Would..." He sighed, making himself look her in the eye, knowing full well that his face was flushed an incredible red. "Would you like to dance, maybe?"

At first, she made no sign as an answer, then she blinked, and even blinked again before finally rubbing her eyes and looking back at him as if she wasn't hearing him right. The scene was definitely an unexpected one, but Gray couldn't help but chuckle and then smirk. "No, you're not dreaming. I mean, if you don't want to, I get it." She frantically shook her head and he nodded, a smirk still wide on his face before taking her hand, walking her out to the open space where people danced. "Then let's go then"

Juvia was a bit glad in that moment that she couldn't turn into water and melt away, for she was sure that she would have if he had ever said those words to her before waking up in this terribly wonderful mixed up mess of a world. Even at the ball after the Grand Magic Games, he would have never asked her to dance. If anything, she would have asked him and he would have most likely rejected her bluntly.

It was so strange.

And it was real. He even said so. She wasn't dreaming. He really was showing her how to dance and telling her when to step and where. He really was nervous around her, and his face really was flushed from embarrassment. He suddenly twirled her and she laughed, though nothing really can out. Juvia had never felt so at ease in her life than in that moment as he pulled her back in, the song ending, and her back resting on his chest.

She snuck a peek by glancing up at his face and found that he was smiling down at her. It was so enchanting to her eyes that she had almost missed what else lied in them. Seriousness, confusion, uncertainty, but she also saw a bit of unexpected happiness and relief.

He reflected her eyes perfectly for the second time that day. For he saw the same emotions in her eyes as she turned around in his loose hold. She gave a questionable look before it melted into one that was greatful. He could tell she was saying thank you. He took a slight step back, letting go of her slowly and putting his hands in his pockets before offering a small smile. "You're welcome."

She nodded and they started walking around the market. Juvia would point things out and Gray would respond with mild conversation. It was almost humorous, he thought. He was the one doing all the talking instead of her. And he understood pretty much everything she would try to say to him by just reading her expression or actions. Had he always been able to do that? Has he always known her so well? No.

Now he's just paying attention.

He always ignored her before. He never payed much attention, though he would catch himself trying to sometimes. She would even force him to do so when it came down to it. At first, she was always pushy, loud, embarrassing, and annoying. She was easy to avoid that way.

But she changed. She became thoughtful, brave, kind, and unexpectedly put everyone above herself. That's when he had to start catching himself. Because more than anything, he knew that she would do anything for others. For him. When it came down to it, if something happened, she would gladly sacrifice herself for him.

Just like all of the other women in his life.

So in the end, he decided to avoid her, act like he didn't like her affections and push her away until he knew he could protect her. But he still wasn't sure.

And now he's running out of time.

When they had danced...he let himself slip up. He showed her a part of him that he had purposefully buried inside himself, pretending that it didn't exist at all. He still wasn't sure if he could protect her, but he couldn't really deny himself anymore either.

Not when she smiled at him like that, walking down the staircase. Or looking him in the eyes and telling him not to worry, even though she was still in pain. He could see it as they waltzed, that every time she took a step, a hint of pain flashed through her happiness. Not when he knew that he could make her so happy, by doing so little. Not when she clearly loved him.

Not now that they were running out of time.

He couldn't deny it any longer.

He was in love with her.

Always has been.