Chapter 2

So much to be done, so little time to do it in. Oh, how well I could relate to that saying over the week that followed, as we prepared for my stay at the academy. Clothes had to be cleaned and pressed, folded and packed away. More clothes had to be bought, and my favorite books and records safely packed among the clothes. In went the book for the course, and my braille slate and stylus, for, as Mother hinted, they would like to receive regular letters from me.

Finally, on the last night, the last suitcase was packed, and Mother dropped me off at Ruby's house, for I could not leave without spending an evening with her. We would hardly see each other over the next three years, and who could say what changes would happen in our lives by that time. An evening would hardly be satisfactory for either of us, but even that was better than no time at all.

"Letta, you dear little innocent eyed unsocial social butterfly, what am I ever going to do without you?" Ruby wailed as she caught me in the doorway. Her head leaned on my shoulder, I could feel her tears wetting my clothes. But I hardly cared. 

"Hey," I said gently. "Hey, you'll be all right. I'm the one who'll be missing you, not the other way around. And it's not like we won't see each other for three years."

"The next worse thing, though." 

"Don't be a wet blanket!" I exclaimed, batting her on the shoulder.

She laughed. "I'm happy for you, Letta, I really am. It's just - well, I'm going to miss you terribly, and that's all there is to it. Three years is a long time," she whispered. 

"I know," I mumbled in return. "But we can write to each other. That may not be as good as seeing each other, but it'll be the next best thing."

"I guess so. Come up to my room; I want to show you something," and, taking me by the hand, she led me up the steps to the room she shared with her little sister, Alice. 

"What did you want to show me?" I asked when we had stood silently in the doorway for some moments.

"Oh. Come here," she tugged gently at my hand, pulling me across the room to her desk. "I want you to have this. Even though you never speak of it, I know you still wish for light. You can find The Light in here, if you search diligently. I want to give you the source of that Light. Please take it."  I felt the weight of a book in my hand. "It's in braille, so you can read it on your own."

I ran my fingers over the cover. Holy Bible. I had heard of that book, but the sad truth is that I had never read it. I had never even held one in my hands until that moment. I didn't even know whether I would read it, then, but Ruby's next words roused something in me, which I had never felt before. 

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that allmen through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. John 1:1-9." She was silent for a few moments before she continued. "I can't give you light, but God can. And I can give you the book that will lead you to God. Please."

I brushed away a tear. "Thank-you, Ruby. I'll try to find Him. I love you."

"I love you, too. And so does God."

Ahhhhh! Don't forget to vote and comment!