Chapter 11

That vacation was both happy and sad. I was, to the best of my ability, trying to continue trusting God, even while watching my dearest friend decline. Her weakness proved the doctor's prediction - she wouldn't be around much longer. Even so, she would not allow me to spend my Christmas in complete sadness. We got together as usual, and the exchanging of gifts could not have been merrier. She was as excited over the gifts as if she would be around to enjoy them for longer than a mere few weeks. The thought hurt. It hurt dreadfully to think that I wouldn't even be able to be there for her at the end. I wouldn't be able to say goodbye. 

Her favorite gift was a small three-bar wooden cross I had found for sale at church. This, she told me, would be of extreme comfort "when my time comes." 

I, too, had a favorite gift - an icon engraved so my fingers could trace the outline, and "see". It was an icon of Christ. I would always treasure it, my last gift from my dearest, closest friend.

Ruby declined swiftly after Christmas, and I begged to be allowed to stay home, to say goodbye. This could, however, not be arranged with the school, and besides that, my mother feared it would be too hard on me. Oddly enough, Ruby agreed that I must return to school.

The parting was a tearful one. I still could not make myself believe that I would never see her again.

Back at school, Brigitta and I continued our lessons, and I tried hard not to think too much of Ruby. 

A short two weeks later, I received the following note, the last words my dear friend would ever write:

My dear Letta,

I write to you to tell you that I am standing close to the door that leads from this life to the next. I write once more because I want you to remember what I told you, that God will never leave you. Not once during my illness did God ever forsake me, and now I am so happy to be going to Him. Do not grieve for me - I am going where I will feel no more pain. I give you my love. Stay strong in Him. Farewell, until we meet again. 

Your loving, 

Ruby

Words cannot describe how my heart ached when, the following day, I received my mother's letter, telling me that my Ruby had died. 

Her last words, Mother wrote, were 'Tell Letta - do not feel sad for me, for I see angels, coming to take me to everlasting joy. I love you.' The funeral is in two days. Come if you can.

Permission was given, and I was going home for two days. Charlotte assured me I would not miss anything important in the course of my absence, because Brigitta would just be reviewing past lessons until I returned. 

I cried the whole way home, and I cried through the funeral and burial services. Only at the end, after each friend and loved one had dropped their handful of earth over her casket, when the final words were sung, "Everlasting be her memory, Everlasting be her memory, Everlasting be her memory," did I find calm. It was strange, but I felt an overwhelming peace and joy sweep over me, such as I had not experienced in so long that I had forgotten how it felt. And I knew that this was Ruby's last gift to me...to feel the joy that she was feeling. She was where she wanted to be, free from pain and sadness. She wanted me to be happy, too.

Okay, I know I'm going to be in trouble. But, oh, such sweet revenge on !!!! I told you you would get it from me. :P Sorry for the sad chapter...the next will be a bit more cheerful. Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoyed the chapter. Thanks! Dorothy