Chapter 17

The last night had finally arrived, and, though exhausted by the practice session Brigitta and I had been through with Charlotte, in addition to everything else involved in the preparations, I still found it nearly impossible to drift off to sleep. I was anxious, fearing that, in my nervousness, I would fail, and have nothing to show for all the work, all the money my parents had spent so that I could be happy.

I tossed and turned for some time, surprisingly, not disturbing Bridgy, so far as I could tell by the sound of her breathing. Finally, I sat up and called Mr. Smith to me with a low whistle. He came immediately, with a great rush of his winds, and landed on my extended hand. 

"I want a little walk around the room," I explained in a whisper. "Will you keep me company?"

His only answer was to rub his head against my cheek. He seemed to know how I felt, and what I needed.

I climbed cautiously out from the bed and carefully walked across the room. "I'm scared," I confided at length. "I don't want to fail, but I'm scared I will."

"You couldn't fail," Mr. Smith declared confidently.

"And why not?"

"Because I don't believe you could."

"Thanks for the explanation," I answered sarcastically. "Well, never mind. It's nice to think you have so much faith in my abilities. I'll try my best, I assure you, but I can't promise I'll win."

"Then I'll promise you'll win."

I couldn't help laughing outright at that calm statement, but it did me good. "Then I'll try my hardest to fulfill your promise, for your sake as well as for Mother and Father, and Charlotte and Bridgy."

"Nicky?"

"Oh dear, now we've waked her," I mumbled.

"Nicky, what are you doing up?"

"I'm sorry, Bridgy. We didn't mean to wake you, but I couldn't sleep, and Mr. Smith was giving me some sound advice," I explained sheepishly. 

"Then why don't you take it, and come back to bed where you belong? You'll catch cold if you stay out of bed like that, in the middle of the night."

"Oh, it wasn't about bed," I hurriedly explained. "He was telling me not to worry about tomorrow."

"Which, I presume, relates to getting out of bed in the middle of the night. Get back in this bed," she growled.

"Yes, Bridgy, I'm coming. Good-night, Smithy," I added, releasing him with a fond caress, as I reached the bed. 

"Pleasant dreams," he croaked, already on his perch across the room.

"Thanks. Same to you, Birdy Boy,"

He sneezed disdainfully but offered no further comment, and I soon dropped off to sleep.

*********

Next morning, I woke to Mr. Smith sitting on my chest, crowing loudly. 

"You old roostatoo, you!" I exclaimed. Then, "All right, I'll get up."

"Feel better, ol' girl?"

"Yes, thank you, Birdy Boy; much better. Now, would you please bring me my clothes, sir?"

He brought them obligingly, and as I dressed, I tried to make a little conversation. "Brigitta downstairs?"

"Half an hour gone."

"Why didn't you wake me sooner?" I asked, reproachfully. 

"When Brigitta warned me not to? You're crazy!"

"Sorry," I said meekly. "I didn't know." 

Still, he seemed greatly ruffled for the remainder of my dressing, and I made up my mind to bring up something special after breakfast, as a peace-offering. 

"Now, don't be cross, there's a good bird," I begged, holding out my finger for him to land on, which he did without hesitation, proceeding to rub his cheek against mine; sure proof that he had forgiven me. "I'll be back after breakfast," I promised, placing a kiss on his beak and releasing him.

As I went carefully down the stairs, I was carried back in my memory to that day so long ago, when I was led down by Josie, carefully counting the steps as she went. What a lot had changed, since then. I no longer felt as if no one understood me. Instead, I felt as though I had misunderstood them, as well as myself. Why, I had thought that all I could do was sit alone in a room, and sing. It was not they who had misunderstood blind people; it was I. I had never dreamed that I, a blind girl, would be able to get around on my own, with no one there beside me to guide my every step. I held my head high as I reached the foot of the staircase.

"Good morning, Miss Daniels. Ready for the competition?" I recognized the kind superintendant's voice.

"Yes, I think so, sir."

"Not nervous, I suppose?" 

I prepared to shake my head, but, thinking better of it, decided to tell him the truth. "Yes, I am, but not so much as I was. Mr. Smith has faith in me."

He laid his hand on my shoulder, just as Father would have done, and said, "And so do I. Run along, now; no need for you to go into performance hungry."

"Yes, sir. Thank you, sir."

Once in the cafeteria, which was beginning to be deserted, apparently, I grabbed the jug of milk from the counter. Somehow, I was more thirsty than hungry, this morning.

A hand grasped my wrist and gently pulled away the jug as I prepared to pour a tall glass. "What do you want to do, ruin your voice for the competition?" asked Brigitta. I could feel her glare.

"Sorry," I mumbled. "I was too thirsty to think of that."

"Hm, I should think so. Have some water, instead," she set a full glass on the table with a thump. "and I'll go get you something to eat."

"Thanks," I smiled. "Oh, wait!" 

"Yes?"

"Could you bring an apple, too, please?"

"An apple?" she asked in amazement. "But - you don't like apples!"

"It's not for me," I laughed. "You see, I offended Mr. Smith, this morning, and I need a peace offering."

"Ah, I understand, now. Don't worry about him; I'll find the finest apple there is."

I smiled, completely satisfied. "Thanks, Bridgy. You're a good friend." 

With that, I leaned back in my chair to gulp down my water. Somehow, I didn't seem to feel so nervous, anymore.

Hello! That came pretty fast, since the last update. Don't forget to vote and comment if you liked the chapter. And, if you haven't already, check out my cover contest for this book. It can be found in my Custom Cover and Logo Shop, under the chapter "Contest (For you to join), or in a book called "Special Cover Contests". Be sure to follow all rules. If you've already entered, thank you! And please tag anyone you think would be interested, and would be able to make a cover at such short notice. Thanks! Dorothy