Chapter 5

*Brigitta's POV*

We met Nicky's parents as we were leaving the cafeteria. Each held a suitcase which, presumably, belonged to Nicky. I smiled brightly when they introduced themselves, but when he mother smiled in return, I felt my own fade, like a dying flower. She was so much like my own mother. Her smile was so much like her's had always been, even on the day she died. 

"Are you all right?" she asked.

"Yes. It's nothing; just a little pain. In my heart," I mumbled the last part, too softly for anyone to hear, I supposed. 

"Well, as you can see, we have Nicoletta's luggage. You're her room mate, I suppose?" 

"Yes. Brigitta Longridge," I extended my hand, willing myself to smile, even though it made the ache worse than ever before.

"I like your name," she smiled again. "You don't mind if I use it in one of my books, do you?"

"Not at all; I'd be honored. So you're a writer?"

"I try to be; but mark my words, it isn't all pleasure, being a writer. You have to take the pain with the joy. Being a writer doesn't mean everyone likes everything you write, and it doesn't necessarily mean everything you write will sell. It's all about writing what you feel in your heart, no matter whether you get paid, or if no one else likes it. If it is good, and true, and beautiful, and it makes you happy, good. If not, throw it into the fire , and never mind the words of the public who only like trash. Write from the heart, not to please the public. That is my advice for all aspiring young authors."

"This suitcase isn't getting any lighter, Mel," her husband reminded her dryly.

"Forgive me for not showing you up. This way," I pointed to the stairs and hooked my arm through Nicky's. "First door on your left when you reach the top."

As we climbed the long flight of stairs, I found myself thinking about Josie. I wondered how long she would be able to keep her secret from my room mate. Nicky seemed intelligent, it was a wonder she had not caught on already. But, she's tired, I reminded myself. Maybe tomorrow she will catch on. My secret, however, I intended to keep longer. I didn't enjoy keeping secrets, but this one was for the best. She doesn't need to know she's sharing a room with the charity pupil, I told myself as we reached the door. 

"This is it," I spoke quickly, interrupting a conversation hadn't even heard one word of. 

Nicky's mother stopped mid-sentence and stared. 

"Sorry. I was so caught up in thought, I didn't even hear you."

"It's all right. We probably would have passed it, if you hadn't spoken. Now, Nicky, I suppose you'll be needing help to unpack?" She asked as I pushed open the door. 

"That won't be necessary, Mrs. Daniels," I smiled at her. "You must be tired from your trip, and I'm wide awake as ever. I don't mind helping; rather enjoy it, actually."

"Are you sure, dear?"

"Of course. I'm happy to help in any way I can. It's all I can give to show my gratitude."

"Very well. I haven't met your parents, yet. Where are they?"

I felt my heart skip a beat, and I'm sure my face must have gone pale. Must my secret come out so soon? "They - went away," I mumbled. 

"I'm sorry, Brigitta. I'm sorry I asked."

"No, it's all right. I know I'll see them again," I blinked back my tears and glanced over at Nicky. She was talking with her father, but she must have heard. She couldn't help hearing. 

"Henry, we'd best be going," his wife touched him lightly on the arm. 

"Yes, I suppose. It's getting late, Nicky; after you get your things put away, you'd best get to bed."

"Yes, Father. And thank-you. Good night, Mother. Thank-you." 

She showed no signs of having heard what had passed between her Mother and me, but I couldn't be sure.

After Mr. and Mrs. Daniels left, I quickly began unpacking the suitcases. "Well, you know this is my first time to share a room with anybody?" I asked, trying to make conversation. 

"It's my first, too," Nicky smiled slightly, and then frowned. 

"What's wrong?" 

"What did you mean when you said your parents went away?"

So she did hear. "They just - went away," I forced out a tiny laugh, but it wasn't too convincing. 

"They died, didn't they?"

I sighed as a tear rolled down my cheek. I didn't bother to brush it away, but went on laying Nicky's things neatly around the room. 

"I won't talk about it, if you don't want to," she said gently.

"Thanks. It's just not time, yet. Hey, what's this?" I asked, handing her a book I had just pulled from the bottom of the smallest suitcase. 

She sighed, running her fingers over the cover, reading the braille, I supposed. "It's a book."

"I can see it's a book," I teased. "What's it about?"

"It's just a Bible my best friend gave me as a going away present," she explained, giving it back. 

Just a Bible. If she would read it, would she still say that? I wondered. "Where shall I put it?" I asked quietly.

"Wherever," she waved me off.

After a moment's hesitation, I slipped it under her pillow. "What is your friend like?"

"Sweet, caring, lovable, not a bad bone in her body."

"The model of a true Christian," I nodded. "I'm afraid I'll never be."

"But I thought..."

"Yes, I'm a Christian. At least, I believe in God. But I mean a true Christian, as in one who lives their faith, who practices what they preach. No one will ever describe me that way, there's too much bitter in my life, and not enough of the sweetness of love."

"I think you're sweet," she offered.

"Thanks," I chuckled. "You're the first to say that, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're just trying to comfort me."

"Would I lie?" her tone was surprised and hurt.

"I didn't say that!" I spun around to face her, and there were tears in her eyes. "I didn't say you were lying," I hugged her. "I've never had anyone call me sweet, is all, and I guess I'm just a little skeptical."

"I wouldn't lie," she insisted.

I pulled back to look into her face, and answered, "I know you wouldn't. Thanks, Nicky. You're sweet, too. Could I please be your second best friend?"

I know, this chapter was a long time coming, but I wrote it while I was sick with a cold, and I couldn't type it up. And even though I've been on for almost a week, it's taken me this long to get it typed. But, it's finally here! I hope you enjoyed the chapter, and don't forget to comment and vote if you did. Thanks! Dorothy