Sass (12)

Crossing the field to the Telmarine army was nerve wracking. I held white flowers of peace, as did the centaur. The giant held nothing while Ed carried the scroll. We managed to walk to the frontline. Edmund asked for Miraz and soldiers lead Edmund and me too him. They not to allow the centaur or giant near the tent they were situated in but neither Edmund nor myself minded. If either of us were to be killed when we came here not to attack, but upon peaceful grounds, most of his alliances would be void.

"I, Peter," Edmund read, "By the gift of Aslan, by election and by conquest, High king of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel, Emperor of the Lone Islands, in order to prevent the abominable effusion of blood, do hereby challenge King Miraz, to single combat upon the field of battle. The fight shall be to the death. The reward shall be total surrender." I had copied what Peter wanted to write, as his handwriting was never illegible when he was nervous. Caspian had objected, but once I had shown him what Peter had written, even he struggled to read it. However, after years of practise I could read his writing in my sleep.

"Tell me, Prince Edmund..." Miraz began. How dare he call Edmund a prince! He was King Edmund the Just! Had Miraz not read up on history? I could hear Peter warning me not to do anything stupid, and this was stupid.

"King." I corrected. Edmund smiled at me bashfully.

"What?" Miraz was clearly confused at my interruption. Well poor him! He should not have addressed Ed in such a way. That and I needed an excuse to contradict him.

"It is in fact King Edmund." I informed, smiling innocently at Miraz.

"Just King though, Peter is the High King." Edmund confirmed. We exchanged smiles as Miraz looked confused. Edmund rolled up the scroll and faced Miraz directly. One of main arguments for going was that I could persuade people to do many things when I wanted to. I had an ability for getting people on my side. That trait would serve me well today.

"Tell me, why would we risk such a proposal when our armies would wipe you out within the hour?" Miraz asked.

"Why you risk such a proposal. It is not your army you are fighting, but one person. So therefore you are denying your own ability to win in single combat." I pointed out. Miraz glared at me. The glare was obviously because I was still alive. He had hoped to kill me in the most brutal way to angels. Peter had made those sorts of deaths illegal and Caspian had told me how other leaders would be shocked to hear Miraz act so malevolently.

"Haven't you already underestimated our numbers? Only a week ago, Narnians were extinct." Edmund pointed out. I was shocked. Had it truly been a week? It felt longer, much longer. Although I would put it down to the fact I spent many days in the Chamber, practically begging for death.

"So you will be again." Miraz countered. Maybe.

"Well then you should have little to fear." Edmund reasoned. In this past year he had grown from the quieter, moody boy to a sarcastic, sassy, brave teenage King he was before. Ed had a way with words. He had the power to make anyone happy when they were sad, or make a person, mostly his older brother, turn sour with sarcastic remarks. Miraz laughed at Edmund.

"This is not a question of bravery." He replied. Every head at the tables turned to us to hear our response. I could tell by looking at them, some were on our side in this argument.

"So you are bravely refusing to fight a swordsman half your age. Maybe younger because I think recent events have aged you terribly." I commented. I heard snickers of some guards who were standing around the tent. Miraz's eyes narrowed.

"I didn't say I refuse." Miraz defended. He knew that if he did refuse his people would think was weak. They would question his strength as a ruler.

"You should have our support your majesty, whatever your decision." A member of his council interjected.

"Our military advantage alone provides the perfect excuse to avoid..." The other man was cut off because Miraz grabbed his sword and stood up, gaining height over the man. He denied avoiding anything.

"I was just pointing out that his majesty is well within his rights to refuse." He defended.

"His majesty would never refuse." A guard pointed out. If I remember rightly he was some kind of general, maybe even a personal guard. Whatever he was, his words may have just swayed us the argument.

"You," he pointed the tip of his sword at Ed, "return to your brother, tell him I accept." Next the ruler turned to me. His eyes seemed as black as the witch's eyes, black to reflect the lack of light in his soul. The say eyes are windows to the soul and Miraz is perfect proof.

"You," he turned to me, "you should hope your boyfriends sword is sharper than his tongue." Miraz snarled. Edmund grinned at me.

"You should hope your fighting skills are better than your comebacks, although you would probably prefer to cut of an angel's wings with iron. Also, Peter is my husband, not boyfriend, read up on your history Miraz." With that Edmund and me left.

We filled Peter in on exactly what was said, him glaring at me when Edmund told him how I had stood up to Miraz and publicly shamed him. I could deal with Peter's worry, mostly because he would need help getting ready for battle and I was always the person to help. We entered the room with the armour to see my own leather battle dress, the iron studs replaced with silver. I helped Peter tie his armour properly, once done he looked at me and smiled. I kissed his cheek.

"What was that for?" He asked, smiling down at me.

"A token of luck, My King." I replied.

"I thought we agreed you wouldn't call me that." He stated. I shook my head and planted a kiss on his lips. Caspian and Edmund came in to tell us it was time.

The Narnians were in position, all gathered around to watch their High King fight his toughest battle. Both Peter and I had fought hard battles, hopeless wars and faced tyrants and wolves and witches and uprising, but this was the scariest of all.