Chapter Three: The Punishers

The metal elevator began to drop down the shaft slowly even though no one pulled the lever. My first instinct was to stop the elevator from moving. I had no idea what they were going to do to me.. I didn't want to find out. My chained hands reached over for the lever; with all my might, I attempted to pull the lever forward. No matter what I did to stop this contraption, nothing worked. The elevator dropped faster down - it felt like a free fall. As I passed the floors, all the prisoners pointed at me with widened eyes. I'm guessing they knew who I was. After all like I said in the beginning, I must of been the most hated man in England. 

The elevator suddenly came to a halt. A narrow doorway stood in front of me. Was I supposed to go in or wait to be escorted by those dementors? I stayed in the elevator for a brief moment before stepping out. Darkness filled the room along with the foul stench of rotting corpses. This room didn't look familiar at all. I only have been to the main floor, but this floor looked like something else. There was not one sight of light in this whole room. I decided to continue on down the room, keeping an eye open for any sign of life or light. I wouldn't dare to call out - chancing it would not be the logical thing to do. 

"Come"  a voice whispered around me. "Are you afraid?"

The voice circled around me yet nothing I could see was there. I began to spin around in circles, squinting my eyes to see if anything was around me. "What are you?" I said firmly, a little louder than I had thought in my mind. There was no response. I suddenly became angry. Rage flowed through my veins as I screamed aloud "Show yourself, you coward!" 

That was a mistake. 

A hand reached out for my ankle, pulling me down with such force I never thought possible. I stumbled down to the floor... once again. Of what I could make out, a man with barley any clothing lies on the floor beside me. On his scard chest, a deep hole is made, indicating of where his heart would be. He was heartless.. Literally. His eyes were rolled in the back of his head while deep red liquid poured out of his mouth. I became speechless - I could barley breath. I moved closer to him, lifting his head up with my hand, thinking maybe there is some chance to save him. He may have been a complete stranger, but no man was left behind. The blood of the man dripped down onto my own tattered clothing. "What did this to you?" I questioned, knowing I wouldn't get a response. That memory would stick with me for the rest of my bloody life. 

"Are you mad?" a weak voice whispered from behind me. I snapped my head to look over my shoulder. A woman who looked about in her late twenties stared at me with helpless eyes. She laid on the damp floor, her eyes sunken and surrounded by deep black circles.Infected cuts and wounds covered her face along with dried up blood and dirt. I crawled over to her, quickly grabbing the collar of my ripped shirt and tearing a large piece apart. The girl shivered intensely, her breath scared and uneven. Her bare body laid scrunched in a ball. "You're going to be okay" I said reassuringly while placing the piece of fabric over her body. She instantly shook her head and placed her index finger over her mouth. "They will hear you.. Act dead". 

"W-What? What are you talking about?" I whispered back, feeling completely ignorant. 

The girl repeats her actions. "They will hear you.. Act dead". A loud metal bang irrupts her sentence. She quickly grabbed my arm, pulling me down low to lay down beside her. She pointed to her face and closed her eyes, indicating for me to do the same. I had no idea what was going on. I shut my eyes tightly and laid there, slowing down my breathing. The atmosphere became cold once again.. but this feeling.. was much different. A low vicious growl echoed through out the room along with faint whispers. Breaking the growl was a high pitched scream of a woman. The sound of smashing and a whip came from farther down the room, before the girl went silent. They killed whoever it was. 

A few minutes later the girl beside me tapped my shoulder. My eyes flickered open to look at her. Her face was very close to mine. Her cool breath tickled the ends of my lips as she whispered to me. "They are gone.. for now". 

"Who is gone?" I asked, observing her bone structured features. Her eyes shone brightly with the shades of dark green. Her lip had a nasty cut along the side that was filled with dry blood. She had long raven hair that was knotted and looked crazy like my cousin, Bellatrix. "The punishers.. They have gone. But they will return" she muttered. "You must leave in time". 

"Who are they? Dementors?" I questioned. 

"Worse..." she retorted sadly. "They are the devils creatures. Some say they were so cruel and terrible they were spat out by hell itself.. They are too evil to have a name.." 

A cold shiver ran down my spine. Was this woman telling the truth? Or has Azkaban got to her? "Leave.." she added. "While you still have the chance". 

I gulped thickly before speaking. "Who are you?" 

"That is not important. I have said it twice, I shall say it once more. Go. Now" she ordered me. 

"Not without some answers" I demanded. I could not just leave... Besides, I didn't know how. The elevator would not work. It must have been enchanted with a spell to stay on this floor unless told to go back up. Plus, I would not leave this women behind. She just may be my only hope into finding out what is going on. She didn't seem mad or insane.. She actually seemed normal. 

I got up from the floor, on my knees. "Can you walk?" I asked her curiously. She shook her head and pointed down to her leg. A massive cut stripped along her whole leg that gushed with fresh blood. "I am here to die" she said softly, her tone filled with not a spark of hope. Without even responding, I scooped her up into my arms. She was literally as light as a feather. "Nobody is left behind" I said proudly, lifting myself up to my feet. At first she struggled, wanting to leave my grasp. "Nobody is left to die".