Chapter Six: The Dark Mark

The rest of us. Those words hit me right in the gut. Was she indicating that she is a death eater? Or was she just speaking in general? Of course I wouldn't have been surprised if she was a bloody death eater.. Azkaban is crawling with them. But Iris? She seemed to not be like the others that had gone mad. I may have been there only for a day, but she is very different.. Unusual. But if she were to stay in my cell for as long as I stayed in this place, then I was in need to know. 

"Us?" I ask peculiarly, my eyes narrowing as the veins in my forehead tense up. "You work for him?" Iris stayed quiet for a moment before looking over her shoulder. "It's rather complicated" she said in an undertone. "I'd rather not discuss problems with... a stranger". She then turned back around and gazed at Bellatrix, probably wondering if she should wake her up or not. "A stranger? That is what you think of me?" I muttered grimly, "If it wasn't for me, you would have ended up dead on the floor". 

"So? That does not make you any less than a stranger" she answered quickly, adding a sigh along with it. "If it were my choice, than I would not want you to be a stranger - I'd rather you be a friend". I bend over and crouch beside her, turning Iris around to face me. "Then I will be" I answered instantly. Her eyes glitter happily before she glances away from me. "Can I trust you?" she asked. 

"Now that is something only you could answer, Iris" I said, pointing at her. "Trust holds together a friendship. Without it, friendship wouldn't be much of a friendship, now would it?" 

Iris nods her head agreeingly and shifted her position on the floor. "You saved me... I didn't want to be... But you did. That is a great deed only few would perform here...and for that, I trust you". My lips etch into a small sympathetic smile before speaking. "So, you are a death eater?" Iris takes in a deep breath and holds out her dirt covered arm. She twist it around, revealing the dark mark. The snake slithers around the skull that moves up and down, as if in the sky. My teeth grind angrily together unintentionally. "Oh" was all I could mange to say at the time. 

I left it at that. A death eater is a disgrace to all wizards and witches of our time. You-Know-Who is somewhere hiding, regaining his power and glory while his bloody minions sit locked up in Azkaban. There was no way I was to trust her, yet she trusted me. This is turning into a fake friendship. All I want is information - nothing more. If she wasn't aboard with the Dark Lord, then maybe I would consider in creating a new friendship. Unfortunately, she is one of them. And I'm not... Nor will I ever be. But it seemed to me something about her is off. Unlike the others, she seemed to look completely sober, as well as normal. Yet something else lies within her... And I want to know. I had a boat load of time to waste, so why not dig through the dirt and discover something new. 

--------------------------

The day went by slower than ever. The dementors were not on our floor, which was surprisingly good. I could finally feel the slightest bit comfortable - and warm. No guards came by to feed us, but food wasn't on my mind. Iris was. Her and her secrets she seemed to be hiding. All she did was stare at Bellatrix. She finally pulled together some courage and called out for her. 

"Bella!" Iris hissed through her teeth. She clinked my bars with her long fingernails loudly. Bellatrix moaned and groaned and rolled to the other side angrily. Her black dress looked more torn and used out. If I wasn't mistaken, there was a couple of creatures fiddling around in that bush she calls hair. "Bellatrix!" Iris whispered again. Bellatrix grumbles fiercely under her breath and sat up right, noticing Iris. Her black lips curled into a devious grin as she wiggled her fingers to say hello. 

"Well isn't it Iris" Bellatrix purred maliciously. "I've been looking for you, you know. I wanted you to join in on my plan". 

"You should of looked harder" Iris retorted sharply. "I would of been fond in joining. But then again, I'm here aren't I?" Bellatrix rolled her eyes and stretched out her bony limbs. "It's your fault for getting caught to easily". 

"Actually, it was your fault. You're lucky I refuse to hold a grudge" Iris snapped. Bellatrix shrugged her shoulders carelessly and leaned against the cement wall. "Nothing is my fault, dear Iris. Just be quicker next time and maybe you'll have a chance..." Bellatrix narrowed her eyes curiously and looked over Iris's shoulder. "This was Sirius's cell" she said cooly. "I guess they finally chopped that imbeciles neck off. It was about time". 

Iris looked over her shoulder, while I put my finger to my lips and told her to make pretend like I was not there. "Yet I don't understand why they locked him up in here.. Sirius Black, a murderer? Please... He wouldn't even kill a fly. He is the biggest disgrace that ever walked this planet.. And a death eater? Ha! He would never... I wouldn't allow it!" Bellatrix wen't on and on, ranting about me and how much of a 'disgrace' I am. Iris stayed oddly quiet and just nodded her head when necessary. "Have you seen him, Iris? Have you seen that fool yet?" Iris cleared her throat and bobbed her head yes. Bellatrix snorted wildly and twirled her ferocious curls around her finger. "He was put on the 13th floor.." she muttered. 

"Really, now?" Bellatrix asked suspiciously. "Probably for yelling wildly at me.. Just wait until I see his rotting body.. I'll kill it all over again!" 

By now, I'd had enough. Standing tall and proud, I release myself from the shadows of my cell and allow myself to become visible. "Or I could just kill you right now and this could be over with" I growled. Bellatrix looked taken back and dropped her hands down to her sides. "I knew it was too good to be true..." Bellatrix got onto her feet and stuck her head out of the cell. "GUARDS!" she yelled wildly. "DEMENTORS! WE HAVE SIR-"

"Shut it!" Iris hissed angrily. "Keep quiet. You'll get me in trouble too!" 

Bellatrix growled under his breath and shot me a nasty scowl. "What are you doing with her? Speak up one of you!" 

Iris flinched for a moment and pointed down at her leg. "Sirius found me still alive and saved me... I asked if I could stay here since you are here with us...So stop yelling widly before all three of us end up dead". 

Bellatrix stuck her chin up in the air and placed her hand on her hip. "How dare you speak to me like that" she spat, "As long as I'm the one who lives, I can care less about what happens to the two of you".