Chapter Four: New Company

"Well I am" the girl said, continuing to struggle in my arms. "They said so themselves".I gave the girl a peculiar look before responding. "Don't listen to them. For whatever reason you are here, no person is left to die unless a good enough reason." The girl nods her head weakly, her eyes soon beginning to close. "How do you know they don't have a good enough reason already?" she asked, keeping her eyes closed. I stay silent, realizing I shouldn't be the one to talk. After all, I had no idea why she was here in the first place. I still didn't even know where I was to begin with. 

"If they did have a good enough reason, you would already be dead" is all I could manage to think of. After that, things became eerily silent. The woman just laid in my arms like an inanimate object, her eyes closed. If I wasn't mistaken, I could guess she had fell asleep. I didn't know how much time I had to get out of here. I also didn't want her to be awoken. My first choice was to enter the elevator. Turning into a dog would probably help. I could trigger the lever with my teeth and push it forward in order for it to move.. but if this girl wakes up, who knows if she would tell someone. Plus one of those 'punishers' may come back and see. 

I opened up the elevator door as silently as possible. I first placed the girl down on the metal floor before moving over to the lever. I gathered up all my energy and pushed the lever forward. There was absolutely no progress. 

"You'll never make it move if you keep doing that" the girl said, her eyes scanning me over. "Someone obviously put a spell on it. And you, I know for sure, don't have a wand to perform a counter spell, now do you?" 

I give her a brief glance. "Of course I don't. Only a miracle will set us free from this room" I grumbled. The girl slithered her hand behind her back, revealing a dirt covered wand. "I guess I'm your miracle" she said slyly, her head tilted to to the side as if she were drunk. She extended her hand and offered the wand. "As you are mine" she added. 

"I'm just being friendly" I responded. "Until Azkaban get's to me that is". I turn the lever with the wand pointed forward. "Deprimo" I hissed. The levers lock loosened, allowing me to push it forward. "Deletrius" I added quietly to erase my evidence of magic. I turned back to her, my eyebrows curiously knitted together. "Where did you get this wand? The guards take them away when you are sentenced here". 

"I found it" she said simply with a shrug. "One of the men I met some how smuggled it in. The dementors found out so he had to come down to the punishers. For all I know, he is dead now." 

"So you took it?" I asked, observing the wand. 

"Why wouldn't I? I found it lying on the floor.. It could be useful" She responded, gesturing toward the lever. "My first example..The lever". She pressed her legs to her chest, her arms wrapping around her legs. 

"Well thank you" I said, my words soon being thrown off by the jolting of the elevator. "Now, I would like some answers to my questions". 

"Like?" she asked while pushing her dark raven hair out of her face. "But before we begin, I'd like to ask you a question." 

"Depends on what it is you are asking" I said, shrugging a shoulder. I refused to give away any important information before I received information. This woman may be useful after all. "How long have you been in Azkaban?" she questioned. "I have never seen your face.." 

"From my guess, I'd say 24 hours" I grumbled, sinking down to the floor, sitting opposite from her. Her blank expression becomes shocked. "Only 24 hours? And you ended up on the 13th floor? You must be quite the criminal if I say so myself, yet your kindness says otherwise". 

"A criminal is the last thing I am" I growled madly, clearly annoyed by her comment. "I am innocent". 

"Not in the Ministry of Magic's eyes you aren't" she pointed out. "Otherwise you would not be here and we would of never met". I was starting to have my second guesses on this woman. She acted as if she knew my problem I was facing, yet she didn't even no my name. I did not want my anger get the best of me. I would of showed her I am weak if Azkaban already gotten to me so soon. 

"It's complicated" I murmured, glancing away from our eye contact. "Things you prisoners wouldn't understand". 

"Just because I am a prisoner does not mean I am not human" she snapped unexpectedly. "I have been here longer than you may think, sir. I have witnessed the most terrible things and have been apart of them as well. I would understand all of it. I am not mad". 

"Is that so?" I questioned, my eyebrows slowly raising. "Yet you ended up on the 13th floor?" I shot the same words she shot at me. From what I could guess, the thirteenth floor is for punishment.. Maybe all of the insane people got locked up there. 

"It's complicated" she repeated me with a slight smirk playing across her lips. "Things you misunderstood people wouldn't understand". 

"So you are admitting you are not innocent?" 

"If I wasn't, then why would I be in for a lifetime of Azkaban?" She spoke, her eyebrows wiggling up and down in a humorous way. "As am I" I responded weakly. I am not the one to be proud of this. I didn't belong here with these insane people. My family should be the ones suffering, not me. I should have my rights and be free.. And get back at that rat, Peter Pettigrew. 

"Ah, so the misunderstood man has done nothing, yet was accused for another mans actions? Am I correct?" the woman wondered aloud, waiting curiously for a response. I flashed her an impressed look. But before I could even respond, the elevator stopped moving. The 36th floor, level nine awaited us. "You knew all of that by talking to me?" 

"More of a lucky guess" she said, smiling grimly. She then took a glance at my floor number and gasped. "A level nine? I'm a level 8" she added with a sinister snicker. "If the dementors see either one of us, we will be facing the Dementors Kiss... I'll just stay on this floor.. That is, if you don't mind?" 

"A little company would suffice" I shrug, standing up on my feet. I help the nameless girl up as she uses me as a crutch. This was a risk I should not be taking. The dementors were bound to find out another living creature was with me. And as for Bellatrix. She would tattle in a heart beat. The sight of my happiness was like a gun shot to Bellatrix. She would never allow it. But then again, I was stuck there for a lifetime. The worse they could do is kill me. Death didn't fear me that much anymore. Plus, this girl still could give me information... Maybe we could escape.. Or just I could.

The hall did not have that odd chill as usual. The dementors must be gone for now. Most prisoners were asleep or talking to themselves madly while rocking back and forth on the floor. We eventually make it over to my cell in a matter of time. The girl plops her body on the floor and stretches out her wounded leg. "You're going to need to get that cleaned up" I said, my tone indicating worry. "It will get infected". 

"It most likely is already" she sighed, observing the wound. I stuck my head out of the cell to see where Bellatrix is. She lied on the floor, her head resting neatly on her arms, while she snored aloud. "Filthy death eater" I muttered to myself. I shut the bar doors and made pretend they were locked before turning around to face the wounded girl. 

"You still never answered my question" I said. "Who are you?" 

The girl let out a long pain filled sigh, her eyes locking with mine. 

"Iris" she answered. "Iris Lunette".