Chapter 4

Serafina's Perspective

We're gathered here, but no one knows why.

The others seem cool. They're half dragon, so I can relate. But for their whole life. I just became one. What does that mean?

Atomic is really epic. I love her bravery, and sarcasm. She talks about her past a lot. What else is there to talk about?

Ella is silent most of the time. But she's nice.

We've shared this bedroom for a week now. It's Friday. Atomic got here  on Monday.

**********

Blossom gathers us into the main room.

''Why are you here,'' she asks.

Silence.

''You need to save the world,'' she says bluntly.

Complete pandemonium.

''What?''

''The world is pretty big.''

''The world is in danger,'' Blossom says. ''Humans want our land.''

She spreads out a big sheet of paper. It's a map of our world. The black areas are human dominated. There are a lot of black areas.

''It's not real,'' I pipe up. They all look at me.

''It's a dream. The idea that half dragons will rise. War is going on,'' I continue. Most people don't survive human-dragon wars. They get nasty.''

''I know,'' Ella says softly. We look at her. Her eyes shine with anger.

''How I got here, I never told you. I was nearly killed. A human lab, and dragon fire.''

I gasp. ''I'm so, so sorry.''

She shrugs, lifting her shirt to reveal a scar on her hip. A spear wound.

''I'm tough as diamonds,'' she smirks. I laugh. She laughs as well. An odd cackle. She really is crazy.

''O.K, now for the important stuff,'' I say. ''Why wasn't I born a half dragon?''

Blossom looks at me sadly. ''Cursed.''

''What do you mean?''

''You could only become a half dragon with other half dragons around you. Now that you are one, you stay one.''

''So, if they leave, I'm human,'' I ask.

She nods.

''You are the last half dragons in existence,'' Blossom says. We look around at each other.

''And the rumor is, half dragons are the only one that can stop the humans, because they understand them better.''

''So no one is stepping up to fight,'' Atomic asks.

''Exactly,'' I reply. ''The world is doomed,'' I say sarcastically.

''Ells looks really sad,'' Atomic mutters. Ella looks into the distance, her eyes clouded with sadness.

''What's wrong, Ella,'' I ask.

''I know why we're the last ones,'' she says melodically. ''I saw it happen.''

I look at her, stunned.

''My hometown was half dragon. Completely. And then the humans came. They destroyed everything, like a hurricane. I am the only survivor.''

''Oh my God, that's..that's..I'm sorry,'' Atomic mutters. Ella shrugs, but her shoulders crumple. Her bronze - silver wings droop.

***********

Blossom takes us outside to the cliff where I became half dragon. The view makes me want to scream in joy ,''The water! I am, and always will be, a child of the water!'' But I think it. Screaming it may get me some funny looks.

Blossom walks inside, and doesn't come back out. I check the door. Locked.

''Well, what now,'' Ella asks.

''Can you breath underwater,'' I ask.

**********

We're swimming, feeling the rush of water under my scales. The clear water surrounds me. Ella's scales gleam underwater. Atomic is grumbling and shuddering. As I break the surface, something is in the water's reflection. It's like...fire.

We rush to the village. Dragons are breathing fire left and right. Humans shoot at them. Smoke billows into the sky.

I unsheathe my sword, ready to fight. Ella grabs an axe (from where, we don't know) and Atomic has a gun.

''Where did you get that,'' I ask in shock.

''Don't ask,'' she answers.

And we're fighting, me throwing my sword like a dagger, Ella swinging her axe, and Atomic firing her gun. She has good aim.

I hit a human in the arm, another in the leg. They all have guns, like Atomic, but her aim is better. Ella is a monster, killing someone with every swing. Her face is twisted in malice. ''THAT'S FOR MY HOME,'' she screams. Her eyes blaze. Her mouth is almost a smile. War has changed her.

I hear an unmistakable roar. Blossom.

I fly to her. She destroys everything in her path.

''RUN,'' she screams.

''No! You said we understand humans better! We need to fight them! We NEED TO SAVE THE VILLAGE! I'M NOT LEAVING HERE! THIS WAS MY HOME, NOW IT'S RUBBLE! YOU LOCKED ME OUT OF THE FREAKING BUILDING! I'M NOT LEAVING YOU!'' I feel exhausted now.

Blossom looks sad. ''Go,'' she says. ''If you feel like that, than go.''

I stand rooted to the spot for a moment. And then I hug Blossom, and run, knowing I'll never see her again.

The humans are running in terror now. Ella laughs, and flies over them, her shadow dark and menacing. I can't help but laugh at her. This tiny half dragon, a deranged child of war.

The humans are gone. Corpses litter the battlefield.The dragons look at us three, hovering in the air, bloody and sweating. And they start to cheer.

''The half dragons have saved us!''

''They can lead the war!''

Blossom is nowhere to be seen.

Shattering Reality - COLLAB WITH @AtomicDaDragonजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें