Chapter 22

Serafina's Perspective

  Apollo and I sit alone in a meadow of flowers of all sorts. There is a lake behind us, and mountains.

  Atomic found me new clothes-a navy fitted shirt, black vest, black leggings, and combat boots. My hair is in a bun today. Loose, baby hairs fly all around. My wings are stretching, after two months in confinement.

  Apollo's  hair blows everywhere. His wings are providing shade. He wears a black sweatshirt and jeans.

  A funny thought comes to mind. "You look like some guy from a movie," I say.

  He smiles. "What 'guy,'" he says, mocking my American accent. "Some British guy."

  "Who's this British guy?"

  "Never mind."

  "Oi! Tell me!"

  "Never!" I get up, and fly up high in the sky, daring him to follow. He does, with a running start.

  I fly in circles, trying not to let him catch me. He does. I laugh, fake struggling against his hug.

  "Ice dragon, eh?" He nods. At that moment, thunder rolls across the sky. "Wow," I say. His eyes, normally soft blue-grey, are electric yellow. "If I make it rain, they can turn soft blue all the way to black, depending in the strength of the storm.

  We spent the whole day with ourselves and the others. I know the others are laughing at him and I.

  At the end of the day, when the sun is setting, he pulls me aside. "What," I ask.

  "Do you think...like." he fumbles.

  "What?"

  "I..I kinda like you."

  I smile. "Really?"

  He looks relieved. "Yeah."

  "What? Were you scared I would reject you?"

  "A bit."

  At that moment, Atomic dumps a bucket of ice on his head. Tzarr shouts, "Hey!" I turn around, and he splashed icy water in my face, too.

  The water doesn't bother me, because Deep Sera dragons love cold water. But, well, It's Atomic.

  I chase her through the air. Apollo chased Tzarr. She's fast. I hear her laughing. I catch her, and drag her to the ground.

  "What was that," I ask.

  "Prank."

  "Don't prank me!"

  She laughs. "I pranked a queen! I pranked a queen!"

  "Oh, shut up!" I fly away, smiling. But what she said stills my mood. I am a queen. I'll have to go back one day. Rule the empire. It'd be lonely.

  "Apollo," I call.

  "Yes?"

  "You really like me?"

  "Yes..."

  "Do you have interest in being a king? An emperor? Monarch?"

  "I guess...Sera, where is this going?"

  "I'm a queen. You're my boyfriend."

  "Oh." He smiles. "I'm a king!"

  "We're not married...yet." I wink. He laughs so hard the corners of his eyes crinkle. His eyes shimmer. I smile.

  "Do you want me to be a king? Because I've only known you for like, a day."

  "Two months."

  "No, I mean, really know you. You like me, right?"

  I smile. He's being a silly old fool. I hug him. I realize he's tall. Properly tall. My head only rests on his shoulder. And, for a girl, I'm tall. His wings hug me, and mine hug him.

  The sun sets, creating a silver-gold halo around his head. Like an angel, almost.

  Suddenly,  my head throbs. I back away from Apollo. I put a hand to my temple. I hear memories. memories I stashed away long ago.

  Blossom's Voice: Something to Shatter Reality

  Atomic's: Like it was meant to happen

  Ella's: I killed you

  Tzarr's: Alex leads the Riders

  Elyssia's: You will give me information

  Mine: I'm a queen

  Apollo's: I like you

  What do they mean? Why do I remember these and others? What do they have to do with each other?

  "You okay," Apollo asks. I nod. "I'm fine," I say, smiling.

  But I wasn't.