Chapter 18

Atomic's Perspective

  The campfire crackles. I haven't been around a campfire since the angry letter to Tzarr. Memories, memories.

  Tzarr gnaws at a piece of meat. Ella plays with magic. She holds a tulip bulb in her hand, and when she makes it bloom, the center of the flower is a big, blue diamond.

  Majirica is keeping the fire going. Alex is sitting in quiet thought. She is really being an anti-social pessimist lately. She will not talk much. Only to inform us is when she speaks.

  I wonder what we will do when we reach Elyssia's fortress. It will not be like the sim city, all old-fashioned. It will be modern and fortified with magic. It won't be like we can just fly into the city over the walls.

  Honestly, I'm terrified about what will happen when we see Sera. What will she look like? Will she even know us?

  Tzarr's laugh draws me from thought. He and Ella are roasting each other. I watch the humor unfold.

  Tzarr: Maybe you should just die.

  Ella: If I wanted to kill myself, I could just climb up your ego and jump down your IQ.

  Tzarr: Do you remember me asking for your opinion? Me neither.

  Ella: Did you fall on your head as a baby?

  Tzarr: Yes, into a pool of awesomeness.

  Ella: You're not hot. The only thing you could turn on is a microwave.

  That one makes me laugh. I laugh until my sides hurt. They look at me funny, then start to laugh, too. We all laugh until we can't breath. Alex smiles a bit. See? Pessimist.

  ''Can I join,'' I ask. They nod.

  Me: You're so thin, you're like a stick.

  Ella: I'm a fabulous stick!

  Tzarr: *rolls eyes*

  Me: Keep rolling your eyes, maybe you'll find a brain back there.

  Tzarr: When a thought comes into your mind, it must've been a long and lonesome journey for the poor thought.

  Ella: Honey, I have heels higher than your standards. And we all know I don't wear heels.

  Me: You're like a ray of sunshine. Hurting people's eyes and giving them cancer.

  Tzarr: Let's play a game of Shut Up and Go Away. You first.

  We start to laugh again. For a moment, I almost forget Sera isn't here.

  ''I wish she was here,'' Ella says. I nod.

  ''I never got to really meet her,'' says Tzarr. ''What's she like?''

  ''Well, she's the Queen of all water type dragons. She's nice and sorta pretty.'' I can here her saying, ''Hey!,'' as I say that. I smile.

  ''She was loyal,'' Ella adds.

  ''This is getting depressing,'' I say. We all nod. ''You know what we should do? Go to a restaurant.''

  ''Well,'' Tzarr says. ''I would, but I already ate, and we are in the middle of nowhere, and we have scales and wings!''

  ''Really,'' I say. ''I hadn't noticed. You know that potion Ruby gave us? I tried it. It turns your scales invisible for five hours.

  ''Will I turn into a dog,'' Tzarr asks.

  ''Maybe.''

  ''Oh no.''

  ''You don't need to come.''