float.

"come on," josh breathed, his warm breaths leaving white clouds in the freezing air. he held tyler's hands in his, and tyler let out a tiny giggle. "I'm ready, joshua," he said, his voice soft and feathery, like the wings of an angel.

tyler wrapped his soft hands around josh's shoulders, and stood up in his tiptoes to press the smallest and most delicate of kisses to his mouth. and josh was floored by the utter beauty of him. the freckles slightly gracing his cheekbones. his long eyelashes, framing soulful eyes that were the kind of melting brown you could stare into for what seemed like forever. his rose-colored lips, soft and puffy and frosted with the right amount of pink. he had never laid eyes upon anything so pure and flawless in his time on the earth.

josh pulled tyler close to his chest, almost breathing him into his body. he closed his eyes, and breathed in, smiling slightly. and suddenly the floor wasn't pressing itself against their shoes, and there was a cold, light wind snapping around them, and tyler felt like anything would simply blow him away like a feather in the wind. tyler looked down, and below him lay the city, the lights bright and twinkling in the night, the dark night pushed aside. he had never seen anything quite like it before.

he pulled in a gasp, holding himself even closer to josh, his shoes drifting in the stratosphere and he felt so, so light. the universe split apart and the lights spread in a beautiful mess of human thoughts and minds and light bulbs, and tyler loved it. "j-joshua, this is beautiful," tyler spoke, quiet, his voice a breath of warm air. josh looked down at him and the love was almost pooling out of his eyes. he just was so infatuated by the human being that was tyler robert joseph.

"tyler, see those lights? imagine each one is a person. lights burn out, you know? they lose whatever makes them warm and bright and lovely and then they're just a filament in a glass bulb. you, you're--there have been billions of lights on this earth since the beginning of time, and there will be billions more, but none of them burn as bright as you. there will never be someone quite like you, again, and I love you, so much, tyler joseph. I love you."

tyler couldn't stop the tears that welled in his eyes, leaning forward again to kiss josh, shaking with all the emotion he was feeling. he had never felt so loved and needed in his time on the earth. they held each other, floating, entwined in each other, faintly illuminated by the moonlight and the stars that could be clearly seen from this high up.

the sound of the wind whistled past them as tyler, happy though he was, began to shake slightly from the deep cold that permeated the atmosphere at this height. "baby, do you want to go back down?" whispered josh, trying to use his body to warm up the shivering boy. "y-yes, please, josh," he said, burying his head in his shoulder.

moments later and they were back down in the field, the earth pressing their shoes again, long grass brushing their legs. they stepped apart a little, still leaning against each other. the ground bringing them back to another facet of reality, the darkness and swishing of the grass of the field they were in. tyler opened his mouth, a perfect little open "o" shape, and gave a whisper that ghosted over josh's neck. "take me flying again. a-and, I love you, josh," the words hesitant. and they were joined again, their lips never leaving each other, bodies close.

it almost seemed that to float they didn't need to fly.

hi yall I just published the book version of rain boy so go look at that if you want. I'd appreciate it so much :) I love you all and thanks for 600+ reads im so happy (highkey waiting for it to hit 666 reads lmao) so yeah.