Chapter 1

"Cin."
The young girl turned around as she heard a familiar voice calling her. Yes, Cin was how everyone called her. Not because her name was Cindy, Cindia, Cindra or anything like that, but because it was an abbreviation for Cinderella - the girl that was always covered in cinders. Her real name – which almost everyone had seemed to forget – was Amelia, Amelia Rosewall.

She was the only daughter of George Alexander Rosewall, the richest merchant in the county who wasn't born in the aristocracy. Her mother was the beautiful Helena Rosewall, who had died six years ago. They used to be the happiest family in the kingdom, but after her mother's death, everything had changed. Rosewall had tried his best to raise Amelia on his own, but one day he realized his child needed a mother. He decided to marry again in order to let his child grow up with both father and mother. However, something seemed to go very wrong. Shortly after the wedding, he suddenly became too busy and was barely home, leaving Amelia with her new "family" alone.

"Maria," Amelia said, "What are you cooking today?" Maria was a younger friend of Amelia's. Sometimes, she met her at the morning market, though it depended on what her stepmother wanted to eat for the day. Maria's family were vegetarians, so Amelia only met Maria when buying vegetables.

"I'm not sure yet, what do you think?" Maria answered. Maria was able to choose whatever she wanted, but Amelia always had to cook what her mother, or rather stepmother, wanted. If she didn't obey, she would get into trouble.Whether it was cooking the wrong dishes, or preparing the wrong dress for her, or just looking at her when she was in a bad mood, her stepmother would scold her.

"I don't know, maybe Ratatouille?" suggested Amelia.

"Yes, that's a good idea, thank you, Cin," Maria said. "Have you heard anything about the ball yet?"

"What ball?" Amelia asked curiously. Her town was next to the castle, so news from the King's family spread quickly.

"The Prince is inviting every young noble and their parents to a ball in order to choose his wife from amongst them. You're so lucky, Cin. You can go there. I bet the Prince will choose you."

"What are you talking about? He is a prince and I am... just Cinderella," Amelia said, looking down.

"Oh, sweetheart, don't you know how pretty you are? You're going to be the most beautiful girl at the ball and that's for sure," Maria said, squeezing Amelia's hand. "Promise me, you will go to the ball."

"I promise," Amelia sighed. Maria smiled and told Amelia goodbye before heading home.

Amelia stood before her family's mansion, looking at the same house in which she had been happy with her dad and mom. It still looked the same from the outside, but inside, everything had changed. Her mom was no longer there, her dad was never home and now strangers were living in her house, making her a servant. Life was anything but fair. There were so many times she wanted to tell her dad about her stepmother. Yet, she couldn't. She didn't want to bother her father. He was too busy and was barely home, and she wanted him to feel comfortable when he was here. If this wasn't a home for her anymore, at least it should stay his home. Besides, her father only married her stepmother, Diana, because of her after all.

"What the hell are you doing outside, Cinderella? The foods are not cooking on their own."
Amelia heard her stepmother cry loudly. This awful woman seemed to love yelling. If her father wasn't home once in a while, Amelia would forget what her voice sounded like when she wasn't screaming.

"I'm coming, mother," she answered, running inside the house. "I'm sorry, I'll cook the noodles now."

"Noodles? Who said I want noodles? Are you doing what you want now?" the woman cried again, causing Amelia to flinch.

"But Julia said you want noodles for today," Amelia said.

"She's lying, mother. I told her that you wanted fish," a young girl said, walking down the stairway together with her twin brother.

"That is not true. Julia, you didn't tell me that," Amelia argued, trying to hold back her anger. Once again she was tricked by her childish stepsister. As if her stepmother wasn't enough, her stepsister was also making her life a living hell.

"Alex," Amelia turned to the boy, her stepbrother, her eyes asking for help. "You were here this morning too. Please tell mother I'm not lying." Alexander didn't even look at Amelia. He simply went upstairs again, ignoring his stepsister.

"Mother, I'll be in my room, preparing for the ball," Alexander said as he left the girls behind.
A smirk appeared on Julia's face. She knew she had won. She always won.

"Go to the market again and pray there are still fresh fish or you're not eating anything today," her stepmother demanded. Then, she turned to her daughter and smiled.

"You, honey, should prepare for the ball too."

"I'm already done with it, mother. I've been waiting for this day my whole life after all," Julia answered proudly.

"That's my child. I'm so proud of you," Diana said.

"Mother, may I go to the ball too?" Amelia asked hopefully. She knew Diana would never let her go, but it was worth a try. She wanted to go to the castle. No, she needed to go to the castle.

"You? At the ball? That was a joke, right?" Julia laughed at the poor girl.

"Cinderella, go to the market first. We'll talk about it later," the woman said calmly.
Amelia nodded and left the house in disappointment.

"Mother," Julia cried. "You're not really letting her go, are you?" Her mother laughed loudly, stroking her hair.

"Of course not, sweetie. Never in this life is she going to see the castle again. Never."
Standing behind the front door, Amelia had heard everything. Yet she wasn't surprised. Nothing about these two could surprise her anymore. She knew she had to go to the castle, no matter what it'd cost. She was not wasting this heaven-sent chance.

Meanwhile, at the castle, the King was visiting his son, Prince Kristian, who was busy doing the last preparations for the ball.

"I'm so happy you finally think of marrying, my son," the King said.

"So am I," Kris replied, faking a smile. "But please excuse me, father. There are a lot of things I need to finish before the ball."

"Of course, son, go. Don't let this old man detain you. I'll see you tonight, hopefully together with my future daughter-in-law." The King laughed.

"Thank you for understanding, father," Kris said, bowing, before leaving the room.

The Prince walked along the hallway, but stopped when he heard a familiar voice.

"Are you really throwing a ball to find your future wife?"

"Liam," Kris said. It was his best friend, William, who was also the person he trusted the most.

"You should know me well enough to figure out that I'm not interested in finding a wife. You know the real reason for this annoying ball."

"Yeah, I know and you're a genius. This is a really good plan," Liam commended his Prince.

"And it had better work. I'll go crazy if all these preparations were for nothing," the Prince said. "Speaking of work, where were you the whole day? I was looking for you," Kris asked.

"I visited someone for you, remember?" Liam answered.

"Oh right, I'm sorry. I've been too stressed lately. How is Rory doing?" Kris asked worriedly.

"He seems fine, but I'm not sure.He's too calm. I'm worried about him." Liam sighed.

"Don'tbe. I'm going to get him out of jail. I promise. I'm not letting him die,"Kris told his friend with conviction. 

Poster Credit: Arishman @ Your Cover Wonder

This and the followed chapters are edited by the lovely Natalie (RunningTally)