Chapter 20

Connor’s P.O.V.

Today, Nellie and I are going to Tim and Tyler’s ranch. She said she hasn’t been there in ages and she’d like to check it out. Earlier today, I packet a picnic basket to take with us so we could eat after our walk.

I look over to the right of me, where Nell is sitting, and smile at the sight in front of me.

There she is, singing along to every song that’s being played on the radio, her back leaning into me. I wrap my arm around her, using my other hand to steer. This is the perfect Kodak moment.

When the song she was singing along to ended, she sighed and moved around to make herself more comfortable, “So do I get to see Kali and Cody finally? I haven’t seen much of them since we left Pittsburgh.”

“You saw her whenever she dropped me off at therapy every now and then,” I said.

“That doesn’t count! We only talked for a brief three minutes.”

“Whatever you say honey,” She just rolls her eyes and begins to sing the song on the radio again.

Pulling into the dirt road we consider a long driveway, I glance around my childhood home. From the fence that lines the road, to the trees that I used to climb. I’d be lying if I said that I didn’t miss this place.

I love living in the city, but I’m meant to live in the country. Nothing could compare to being able to run for miles on end without having to worry about stumbling onto a road. Whenever I retire, I plan on coming back home, and let my children have the same childhood I had.

 I want so many acres I could go outside and look around and not have to worry about upsetting my neighbor. Or as my dad motto, he wants to be able to pee outside and no one will see.

We pulled up to the ranch’s main house, where my parents live. Knowing Tim and Tyler, they’re there to get a free homemade lunch from mom. I get out of the car and walk around to the other side to open Nell’s door. She smiled at me with a blush on her face. I’ve never met a girl who blushes as easily as Nell, I thought and shook my head when she wasn’t looking.

Without knocking on the door, we walked into the house and made our way to the kitchen. I was right whenever I said my brothers would be sitting there mooching off of our mom.

Right in front of use was Tyler and Tim eating mom’s special grilled cheese and tomato soap. There’s really nothing special about it, she just adds peperoni to it. When mom turned around to give Ty his next grilled cheese, her face lit up at the sight of us. She put his sandwich on his plate and rushed over to us.

We met her halfway and I planted a kiss on her cheek, while Nell gave her a big bear hug.

“My baby! How’s your leg? You should be sitting down! Go sit down, I’ll make you some lunch,” Mom says. She’s always been a worrier, but she’ll always make you something to eat. You’d think we’re Greek by how much food she cooks!

“Ma, calm down. I’m fine, I’m actually supposed to be walking on it and besides, we don’t need any lunch.”

“I beg to differ! Take it easy on that leg of yours before it gets worse. Nonsense, you need to eat.”

I look towards Nell for help and she seems to get the hint, “Really Kali, he’s supposed to be walking on it. He’s made a lot of progress so far. In fact, I think he’ll be able to get back on the football field soon.”

I did a double take, one minute happy for her help, the next shocked by what she said. I can’t believe so much time has passed. It seems like just yesterday I was sitting in the hospital with Dr. Douchebag Demaio.

I don’t know if I want to go back to Pittsburgh or back to football in general. If I left here, I know Nell wouldn’t come with me. Her life is here, her family, her job, everything. She wouldn’t leave all of that just because I want to play ball.

The room suddenly grew very awkward, even Tim and Tyler seemed to be a little tense.

To break the silence, I said, “Nell, do you wanna go on that picnic now?”

She just nods and follows me out the door. We walk about a mile from the house, to my favorite spot as a kid, with Nell silently following behind me the whole time.

I stopped suddenly, realizing we were there. Nell must have not been paying attention because she ran right into my back.

“Sorry,” She mumbles. I hear her gasp behind me. I smirk to myself; I took her to the lake on our family ranch. Growing up, I went here to clear my head. The only people who have ever been back here are my brothers. Even my parents didn’t know that I come here.

“It’s beautiful,” She says, still dazed by the scenery.  I took her to the pond that was on my parent’s property. She walks over to the tree house that my brothers and I attempted to make. A smile is placed on her lips, clearly amused, “You guys sure were the next Bob the Builders.” She laughs and I laugh along with her. I can’t blame her for making fun of it, it’s missing nails and some of the wood isn’t level. That’s what you get for letting freshmen make a tree house.

“Come look at the pond,” I said, holding my hand out for her to grab. She places her hand in mine and let me guide her over to the pond. I stop right in front of the water and take of my shoes and socks and silently nod my head, telling her to do the same.

I watch as she takes off her flip flops and walks slowly into the water, only going in as far as her ankles.

“This is so relaxing.”

“I know I came here a lot to clear my head back in the day.”

“I can just imagine you at 15 coming here, mad at the world.”  I stick my tongue out at her, causing her to laugh. I splashed her with a little bit of water, smirking the whole time.

Jaw dropped, she said, “You did not just do that. You’re gonna get it!”

“Bring it on babe!”

After we finished playing around in the water, I set up the picnic blanket along with the food.

“You outdid yourself Connor.”

“I know, but you’re worth it.”

“You’re worse than Tim and Tyler with the corny pick-up lines!”

“I can’t believe you compared me too those two! I’m insulted.”

“That was kind of the point.” She says, smirking.

It seems like I picked the perfect place to take her too because we she seemed to have forgotten about me going back to play ball. Only problem is, how long until we have to bring this topic up?

Sorry for the late update! Here is a preview of the upcoming story (: Only the description though!

My Country Playboy

The towns no buddy is back in town. Feeling a little homesick, Delilah accepts a job offer to be her alma mater’s librarian. She gets a late invite to her schools ten year reunion and when she’s there, she is approached by the towns playboy, Jake Douglas, who just so happens to be the schools soccer coach. After a few dances, she leaves him high and dry. Jake can’t believe the school’s ugly duckling turned into a beautiful swan. Delilah tries to avoid him, but Jake always gets what he wants and right now, that’s Delilah.

I’m working on a better description, so don’t worry! I hope you like it!