Epilogue

“Baby, can you get the door? I kind of have my hands filled.”

I can’t help but smile at the sight of Connor carrying the baby bag and most importantly, our baby boy.

After four hours of a quick labor, our baby boy made his first appearance into the world. Connor stood by my side the whole time, squeezing my hands and taking the insults like a champ. I admit I’ve said some very unlady like things, but what woman doesn’t?

Kali told me I’ll most likely have a set of twins like every O’Shea family has. Connor told her we want five kids so two sets of twins would be great. Funny how I don’t remember saying that, but I’ll admit having a big family with the man I love does sound great.

Connor decided he’d retire early and go out with a bang. He had the super bowl ring he wanted, but he always said that he had his chance to live out his dream, but it wasn’t his dream anymore. He said he was living his dream with me.

Connor and I were married shortly after he asked me, we kept it small, but it was perfect. Not long after that, I found out I was pregnant. I could hardly contain my excitement. I remember that day exactly.

“Molly, I need you to do me a favor.”

“Sure babe, what is it?”

“Can you go, um, get me a pregnancy test? I don’t want anyone to see me buying it and telling Connor. What if he doesn’t want a child yet? What if it’s a false alarm and he got his hopes up?”

“Nellie, calm down, why wouldn’t Con want a child? You guys are married and in love!”

“That doesn’t mean anything! We never really talked about children.”

“What couple doesn’t talk about children? It’s like a third date question!”

“I’m sorry we didn’t follow the guide lines!” I shout.

“That’s beside the point. Do you want me to go to the next town over and buy one?”

“That would be great!”

An hour and a half later, the three tests came up positive. I sat at the kitchen counter with Molly beside me, studying the pregnancy tests in front of me.

“Baby I’m home!”

“Shit, Molly what do I tell him?”

“Tell him the truth.”

“Easier said than done,” I muttered.

Hiding the tests in the drawer closest to me, closing it just in time for Connor to enter the kitchen, “Hey honey, how’s the ranch?”

“Same as it always is, even though you did miss Daisy come yell at the Tim. Apparently, they’ve hit a rough spot.”

Nodding a greeting towards Moll, he comes over and wraps his arms around my waist, leaning in to kiss my forehead.

“Dinner smells good.” He compliments.

“Well I have to go pick Lucy up from daycare, see you later guys!” Molly says, mouthing ‘Tell him’ on her way out.

“Bye Molly, tell Scott I’ll see him tomorrow,” Connor shouts as she makes her way out the door, “I’ll set the table. Go relax for a little bit.”

Nodding, I make my way towards the living room to sit down for a little bit and try to think of a way to tell him. Shutting my eyes for a few moments, I didn’t realize Connor was in the room.

“What are these?”

My eyes snapped open, one look at the expression on his face and I knew I didn’t have to see what was in his hand to know what he was asking about.

“Nell, we’re going to have a child?”

Nodding my head, I replied, “I took the tests earlier today. Please, just tell me you’re happy. Tell me you want this.”

His reaction was better. He picked me up and spun me in circles, causing both of us to laugh. When he stopped spinning, he placed my feet back on the ground but didn’t release his hold on me.

Kissing the top of my head, he said, “I’m happier than I’ve ever been. Gosh, babe, we’re going to have a child. We’re going to start a family.”

“I decided that I’d let you tell everyone,” I said, smirking.

The look on his face was priceless. “Together?”

“Forever,” I replied, not able to help it. Connor’s now serious face told me that we were no longer talking about telling our families.

“Always,” And with that, he sealed it with a kiss.

“Nell, this is heavy,” Connor said, snapping me out of my day dream.

“Oh hush up, I gave birth a few days and still have to waddle. I think you can wait a few seconds.”

When I approached the door, Connor passed me the key to unlock the door. After putting the key in the hole and twisting it till I heard the click signaling, telling me I could pull the key out.

Giving the key back to Connor, he put’s Aidan’s baby carrier down on the porch and pulls me toward him. He kisses me passionately, and then places his forehead against mine.

“Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For giving me a beautiful son, for loving me, and most importantly for making me the happiest man on earth.”

“I want to thank you for my beautiful son, for loving me, and for making me the happiest woman on earth,” I say repeating his words back to him.

“My life wouldn’t be the same without you.”

“I know the feeling completely.”

“What do you say, want to go inside and start our new life together as a family?”

“You don’t have to tell me twice.”

Picking Aidan back up and taking my hand, he leads us back into our house. I moved into Connor’s house, letting my mom have her freedom in my childhood home.  

Finally, I realized that I have the perfect life that I’ve always dreamed of. I have the man that I’ve had a crush on for as long as I can remember, my mother quit drinking, and I have a beautiful son. I wouldn’t change a thing about my life, I’m just glad that I finally have my country man.