Who May Worship God?

Psalms 15:1-5

Thomas Jefferson said, "This is the picture of a perfect gentleman!" Another author felt that Wisdom is to the worship of God! Therefore Psalms 15 qualifies as a Wisdom Psalm since it shows who may worship God. The first verse begins with a question, "Who can live in your tent, Lord?" (NEB) or " Lord, who shall abide in Thy tabernacle?" (KJV). Both versions suggest

the same question, "Who is righteous enough to spend time with God in His House." (EGA). God shares His dwelling place with those who follow Christ. You see, unless we are believers of His Son, Jesus Christ , we cannot enter His Kingdom. But when we accept Him we open the door to His home through Christ as one of His family.

Tents in the Old Testament referred to the homes of the Israelites. They dwelt in tents and no one entered except by invitation or request of the family. Aliens were not able to enter except by invitation. We were once alienated as enemies of God but are now drawn nigh (reconciled) by the blood of Jesus Christ. (KJV-Colossians 1:21) "In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins."(KJV-Colossians 1:14). Righteousness came as a gift from God to forgiven sinners. We can come boldly now as Hebrews 4:16 says in KJV, "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." This is ours by the authority of His Son! Psalm 24:3 (NEB), Repeats the same thought, "Who can ascend the Lord's mountain? Who can stand in His holy sanctuary?" What a blessing to be at home with God. Since The Spirit dwells in us we are part of the family of God, brothers and sisters to His Son. So we may approach and enter His tent!!!

Let's consider the answer, one verse at a time. The answer is given in verses 2-5 (NEB), "The person who lives free of blame, does what is right, and speaks the truth sincerely. Who does no damage with their talk, does no harm to a friend, doesn't insult a neighbor;"(verses 2-3). All these apply to the words that come out of our mouth. We need Revelation 14:5 (KJV), "And in their mouth was found no guile: For they are without fault before the throne of God."

Then verse 4a says,"someone who despises those who act wickedly, but who honors those who honor the Lord;". We do not hate those who do not respect God but we hate the sin which causes this rejection and sinful act they do. Instead we respect God and show our honor by our life. Verse 4b goes on to say, "Someone who keeps their promise even when it hurts;". Perhaps we make a hasty promise to someone without considering the outcome. We are obligated by our own words to perform the act. Maybe it was for assistance, housing, meals, prayers or any vow. We must fulfill the promise. A promise by word of mouth is binding, no matter what the cost!

Verse 5a&b continues with, "someone who doesn't lend money with interest, who won't accept a bribe against innocent person." It is a common thing in this world to charge interest on a loan but God has a standard for the believers that is far beyond worldly conception. The world has to receive a gain on whatever they do. It is considered wise and intelligent, but God does not want us to follow the world's standard. The second part of that verse is also God's law for Christians. NO BRIBES, PERIOD! Any questions?

Here's where our actions come in! We need the power of the Lord to be Holy in actions and speech. All actions and speech come from the mind! This is why we need to apply Ephesians 4:23 (KJV), "And be renewed in the spirit of your mind.." In other words change your thoughts! We read in Isaiah 55:8 that His thoughts are not our thoughts. Also 1Corinthians 3:19, enlightens us, "For the Wisdom of this world is foolishness with God: for it is written, He take the the wise in their own craftiness."(KJV) "And again, the Lord knows the thoughts of the wise are silly."(NEB).

Verse 5c sums up the purpose of these rules, "Whoever does these thing will never stumble."(NEB) Other version use the word "never fail," or "not be moved" in place of stumble, but the meaning is not lost. Humble, loving thoughts bring out a better communication with others. We get so wrapped up in our own desires we forget we minister to others as Gods children. Walk humbly before him! In his presence we become what God intended for us all along. He calls us to a new reality where we are truly blessed and the wicked have no part here.

The blessings, bestowed on man by God, are spoken of by Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5:3-11. He covers the rules concerning the ones who will be happy or blessed-The poor in spirit receive the Kingdom of God; the mourning gain comfort; the meek inherit the earth; the hungry and thirsty for right will be filled; the pure living see God; the peacemakers will be known as children of God; the persecuted for the Gospel's sake will receive the Kingdom of Heaven; and, the reviled will rejoice! What a reason to watch our actions and speech! Blessed happiness!

Worship together offers possibilities to experience the fullness of life in God's presence. Prayers and songs are our oneness with Christ's concern for the needs of others. What we bring reflects our love, gratitude and commitment to share with others. We express our love to God and we become a blessing to others.

In 1 Peter 1:15, 16 we are told bluntly and clearly, " But as He which has called you is Holy, so be ye Holy in all manner of conversation. Because it is written, Be ye Holy, for I am Holy."(KJV). I like to read the same words in the NEB, "You must be Holy in every aspect of your lives, just as the One who has called you is Holy. It is written "YOU WILL BE HOLY BECAUSE I AM HOLY. This line "as it is written"refers to Leviticus 19:2 where Moses is told by God to "Say to the whole community of the Israelites: YOU MUST BE HOLY, BECAUSE I, THE LORD, AM HOLY."

There you have it! Any questions? Next time...