chapter 7

She was preparing to reveal the whole truth, about the fake relationship, about the lies, to everyone when what's happened next crushed her entire chance.

It came as a sudden when his grandma suddenly collapsed on the floor. She was gripping her chest tightly and her face crumbled in pain.

Everyone was thrown into panic. Xavier was the first to reach his grandma as he was the closest and Jessica followed after him. She could feel him stiffen next to her, surely shock with his grandma's condition.

"Grandma! Grandma! What's wrong?" His voice was frightened. "Uncle, what's wrong with grandma?"

The uncle was already in his doctor mode. He felt her pulse and did the emergency treatment but her condition did not seem to improve.

"This is not good. We have to treat her at the hospital." He reached for his smart phone to call the ambulance but grandma grabbed his hand, stopping all of his action. Despite her difficulty in breathing, she managed to gesture for Jessica and Xavier to come closer.

 "My... last wish... I want to see..." She caught Xavier and Jessica's hands and bound them together, "My grandchild to get married." She breathed heavily.

"Please don't speak, grandma. The ambulance is coming soon. Hang on, grandma. You will be okay." He whispered, his eyes were wide with horror.
He must have loved his grandma dearly. Jessica could understand it. From what she'd already knew, the grandma had been raising him since forever.

"Please, promise me..." It was difficult for Jessica to hear clearly what she was saying, but, somehow, she could understand it, "you'll marry him." She finished her sentence. Her weak eyes searched for Jessica's eyes, hoping, sincerely.

She could feel Xavier was staring at her too, his eyes were asking her desperately to agree with all of her requests. She hesitated, unsure whether it was the best thing to do.
Then, suddenly, the grandma started to have difficulty in breathing again.

"Yes, I promise! I promise I'll marry him!" She nodded hastily, startled. She had no choice too. After all, she couldn't disappoint an old lady in her deathbed, could she?

"Tonight?"

"Yes, I'll marry him tonight. Promise." Without thinking, she answered. Only when she finished the words that she realized what she was saying – what she just promised! She gulped.

The grandma smiled, her breathing even and her smile reached her ears.

Uh-oh.

'Dear life, when I muttered out loud, 'could things get any worse,' it was a rhetorical question, not a challenge.' But, it was too late for Jessica to take back her promise just now. Now, she felt like she was diagonally parked in a parallel universe.