chapter 14

"Seriously, there is something wrong with his brain! How can he act so nonchalantly about this whole thing? And me, I'm so stupid too. How could I be fascinated by his job's offer? I should have known better than to be involved in his problem. Now, look what's happened to me! I'm damned! My life is damned!" Jessica stopped walking. She took a sudden sharp breath. She was walking thoughtlessly while cursing and complaining at the same time. Now, when she realized it, she was already at the bridge .

Jessica sighed. She lost count of how many times she sighed since she woke up today.
She leaned against the bridge and looked up to the skies. The weather was nice; it made all that was happening yesterday was a dream.

'I'm married...' She still found it hard for her to grasp the situation. Then, she remembered their conversation from the last night.

'Right! It is going to be only for 30 days. I'm only stuck with him for 30 days!' Remembering that, she felt a bit better. She made a mental note to cross the calendar to count down the 30 days. 

The incident just now came into her mind again. 'Ahhh! It is so embarrassing! I bet he doesn't feel anything because he is used to seeing women's body!' She shook her head, trying to forget the incident.

She glanced sideway. She saw a young man was hanging near the bridge. She could see that he was staring at the river strangely. She had heard people committing suicide at the bridge.

'No, no! He can't be...'

But when she saw the man suddenly climbed the rails of the bridge and seemed like jumping into the river, her reflex took the better of her.

"Stoooopppppp! Don't do it! You can't commit suicide!" Without pausing to think, she ran towards the man.
She managed to grabbed his shirt. However, while trying to prevent the man, her foot slipped and...

 'Opsss...'  Jessica lost her balance and together with that man, they fall into the river.

SPLASHHH!

"So, you saw me hanging near the bridge and you thought I wanted to commit suicide?" The man crossed his arms.

Jessica nodded slowly.

"Are you always this reckless?" His fixed expression didn't change.

Jessica shook her head slowly. "I'm so sorry. I was so sure you were trying to kill yourself." She muttered, reflecting on her action.

"Death is inevitable but I see no reason to hasten it coming." The man shook his head a few times, causing the water on his hairs to splatter around. "I was there on my way to somewhere. I stopped at the bridge because the view intrigued me.
Then, I thought I saw something in the river. I was trying to take a better look when you," he pointed at Jessica, "unfortunately tried to 'save me'."

It was so awkward. Jessica could not say anything in return. She was quick to jump into conclusion that the man was trying to commit suicide.
On second thought, would anyone dressed properly like this man would try to commit suicide? Add to that, in broad daylight? No one could be that crazy, right? She was mental-slapping herself for her stupid action.

'This is Xavier's fault! His stupid germs are contagious!' Amidst the situation, she did not forget to put the blame on Xavier.

The wind was blowing. The man sneezed loudly. Figure. He was soaking wet from head to toe after falling into the river. And it was in the middle of the fall. It was lucky for both of them to make it back alive to the river bank. He was obviously cold. In fact, Jessica herself felt like her head seemed to be full of fog; she felt dizzy, and a little sick.

"It's cold. The hotel I'm staying is nearby. Why don't we go there to change our clothes?" She suggested.

The man looked baffled with the sudden offer.

"No. I don't mean anything strange. It's just that, I feel guilty. I don't want you to catch a cold. That's why, I want to make it up to you. And, and, I'm not the only person there. There is someone else." Suddenly, her stomach grumbled. Jessica flushed red. She forgot.
She hadn't eaten that day. "And, I'm hungry." She turned her face away, feeling embarrassed.

The man suddenly burst into laughter. "You are funny. I like you," he said in between his laugh. "By the way, I'm Daniel." He introduced himself after he could control himself. He, then, extended his hand in friendly manner.

Jessica hesitated at first. However, seeing his friendly smile, she smiled too. "I'm Jessica." She shook his hand.

Dylan O'brien as Daniel Lewis