chapter 24

Emily looked up. "So, what's your plan?"

"First, I would like to avoid from getting my feet stepped on," Xavier said as he stepped backward, just in time for Emily put her foot where his right foot was.

Emily rolled her eyes. "Oh, please. Don't feign innocence. You know what I mean." She studied his face while not forgetting to keep his feet in check so that they wouldn't step on hers.

Xavier sneered. "In fact, I don't."

Emily clicked her tongue. "You know, this is why I don't like you."

"Well, if it makes you less guilty, I don't like you either." Xavier replied as they continued dancing, trying as best as they could to avoid each other feet.

"Really Xavier ? Are you really going to be like this? Keeping secrets and acting cool all the time?"

"So, what do you expect me to do? Kick the hell out of my wife's admirers or cry a river of tears like a normal husband do?"

Emily stopped moving and stared at him. She seemed contemplating to do something, her brows furrowed.

Chance! Xavier tried to grab the opportunity to step on her feet but a voice halted his action. Their heads automatically turned to where the sound came from.

"Hey, you two. Dancing is not about seeing who can step on the other's foot faster." It was Charlie .

"Both of you give me goosebumps." Jessica joined in his brother.

At the same time, Daniel approached them.
"Hey, Jessica . Want to have a dance with me?" He offered his hand.

"Oh, sorry Daniel . I'm worn out already." Jessica glanced at Xavier .
She wanted to talk to him.
But the timing didn't seem to be appropriate.
Xavier also still didn't look at her. Even while they were dancing just now, he didn't look at her face.

"Who is this?" Charlie asked.

Jessica shifted her gaze from Xavier . She forgot that her brother hadn't been introduced to Daniel yet.

"Oh, this is Xavier's cousin. Daniel .
Daniel , this is my brother, Charlie ," Jessica introduced.

"I didn't know you have a brother," Daniel said.
Then, he extended his hand. "Hi, Charlie . I'm Daniel . How are you?"

Charlie shook his hand and smiled. "Hi. I'm good and gorgeous."

"Okay, good. Now, we are all friends." Emily cut the introduction moment short. "Jessica , I should be going now. It is pretty late already. Come visit me when you have time." She hugged Jessica .

Jessica smiled thinly, a bit reluctant to let her go already. She still had so many things she wanted to talk about with Emily . "I will," she nodded as Emily loosened their hug.

Then, Emily turned towards Xavier and whispered in a low voice so that only Xavier heard her. "Just so you know, I'm not done talking with you."

"Don't worry. When I feel like talking, I'll send up a smoke signal," Xavier smirked.

Jessica ignored that and faced Daniel next. "See you."

"I guess it is my cue to get going too," Charlie said and excused himself too.
Jessica bet he was going to drive Emily home and it somewhat didn't shock her as much as before.

"By the way, Jess," Daniel went on and her eyes went back at him. "I'm wondering if you are not doing anything tomorrow, I kind of have these tickets to disneyland and you probably wouldn't be interested, so..." he trailed off.