chapter 9

After Charlie and Emily left, Xavier come near to Jessica. Maybe he was awakened by the presence of Emily and Charlie or maybe he just realized their wedding reception was drawing closer, he initiated the conversation.

"I'm sorry. I'll try to fix it," he assured her.

"How?" Jessica snapped.

"I will... I will talk to my grandma." Xavier answered but very quietly.

"So, my marriage life is riding on you talking to your grandma?" Jessica said sharply.

Xavier fell into deep silent.

"Few hours ago, my life was perfectly fine. I should be going for my job interview and then suddenly you dragged me out of my way here to pretend to be your girlfriend. Then, zapp! Without knowing it, I am going to walk down the aisle to be your wife in a few minutes. How exactly are you going to fix this, Xavier Lewis?" Her voice was quiet, but full of anger.

"Please, my grandma is sick right now."

Jessica scoffed. As she thought, Xavier was not aware of the whole situation. He would not even realize that this wedding was schemed by his own grandma.

"Jessie," Xavier reached for her hand.

"Don't touch me!" She was stumbling backward, grabbing her bag, bumping against his shoulder as she moved toward the door.

But, when she touched the handle to pull the door opened, Xavier' voice pierced her ears.

"Can we at least pretend to be married?" His voice was low, almost sounded like a cry.

Jessica could hear his step as he approached her. He turned her body around, forcing her to face him.
He dropped his face to the level of her eyes, holding her gaze. Jessica tried to look away.

"Please... Just help me this one time... Please..." He whispered, pleading.

This time, their eyes met again. For a moment, their gazes were locked together...

'Here is a quiz. Where am I now?

At the wedding hall.

Wearing a white wedding gown.

About to walk down the aisle to get married!

No matter what you've picked, you are right! Congratulations!' Jessica's mind wandered.

For the countless time for that day, Jessica sighed. At any moment, she would become Xavier' wife. And there was no way out of it now.

Jessica hated her heart for swaying to his plea.
But, for a moment there, when she looked into his eyes, Jessica could feel something in her heart. She did not sure, was it his enchanted voice that sounded so hopeful? Or his charming face that looked so lonely? Or, was it his soft gaze that held some mystery in it? Whatever it was, it sparked her feeling. A fluttering feeling...

Jessica took a deep breath. Xavier was waiting in front.
She took one step forward. Then another step. Slowly. The moment had come. She could hear a song was played as her feet stepped inside the hall. The song that every bride would wish to listen to at least once in a lifetime. But, definitely, not her.

Xavier lifted his head once he saw Jessica stepping inside. He was sure she would run away, but, seeing her right now made him felt relief. Was she wearing this dress before? He just realized, how beautiful she was right now.
In her white wedding dress, she looked like an angel. And, just like the song said, she looked so beautiful in white. He closed his eyes, trying to concentrate on the lyrics.

So as long as I live I love you

Will have and hold you

You look so beautiful in white

And from now 'til my very last breath

This day I'll cherish

You look so beautiful in white

Tonight

Surprisingly, he had the sudden urge to follow the lyrics and fulfil it...

Ansel Elgort as Charlie Williams