chapter 16

'What on earth am I doing here?' Jessica muttered under her breath.

Somehow, they ended at Daniel's house for dinner that evening. Daniel's house was not far different from Xavier' house. Evidence of their wealth was everywhere in the living room, from the porcelain vases piled with colourful flowers on the timber tables to the walls hung with various paintings which some she recognized from famous artists.
The interior design was filled with unnecessarily luxurious furniture, that Jessica felt like she had to be careful so as not to knock over even a tiny vase for fear of its price.

'Damn you, rich people!' Jessica slightly cussed.

A couple walked into the living room whom Jessica immediately recognized as Xavier' aunt and uncle, meaning they were daniel's parents.
Now, when she looked closely, Daniel resembled his mother a lot.
But he seemed to inherit his father's smile.
When they smiled, the shape of their mouth curled into a pretty outline.

"Oh, Dany! You're back!" Jessica's head turned ninety degrees to the man that was just called Dany just to see Daniel's cheeks were becoming red.

"Mom! I told you not to call me dany anymore!" He pouted.

"But dany will always be Dany!" Mrs Lewis exclaimed.

Jessica did not remember the aunt to be such a tease when they met during the dinner last night.
She was staying quiet all through the dinner.
And, they could not talk much during the ceremony too.
So, it was a rare sight to see her teasing Daniel.
Now, she saw her in a new light.

"Yeah, Dany. What's wrong with Dany being called dany?" Xavier joined in the fun.

Daniel narrowed his eyes. "Could you please not sound like my mother? Really, why do you have to be so much in sync all the time?" He said in whiny tone.

"And could you please not sound like a whiny 5‐years‐old?"

"Not funny, Xavier," Daniel stopped his whiny act and glared at Xavier.

Xavier seemed unfazed. Here was another person whom Jessica saw in a new light today. Calm and collected.Can be sarcastic at times.
Xavier was turning more and more into a guy she barely knew.

A low laugh sounded beside Mrs Lewis. All focuses turned towards Mr Lewis.
Seeing all eyes on him, Mr Lewis covered his mouth and stifled his laughter.
He cleared his throat before making his point.
"Well, it has been a long time since Lewis family gathered together. Not to mention we have a newlywed here. Let's have dinner together."

"Oh, I just invited them for dinner too. I'm cooking!" It looked like Daniel found his composure back.

"Oh, you want to cook for dinner?" Mrs Lewis laughed. Though it was faint, Jessica could hear the nervousness in her laughter.
"But, we already book a dinner at a hotel tonight. Right,hubby?" Jessica saw her nudging her elbow into her husband's ribs.

"Yeah, right! It's true." Mr Lewis i agree with his wife. His smile looked obviously awkward.

They secretly exchanged look, wearing the same expression of tension.

"But, I already promise to cook for this new couple tonight." Daniel protested.

"Actually, I prefer to have dinner at the hotel." Xavier said bu tdaniel did not seem to hear it. He seemed to already set his mind to cooking no matter what.

"What about both of you just go and have your date while we are going to eat here," Daniel suggested. He was grinning crookedly.

Jessica spotted a slight sigh of relief from the old couple. 'This is not a good sign.'