Chapter 10 Pietr Vlassov

A few hours later, an unexpected email landed in her mailbox, from General Andersen’s address:

“Have a complete report on the Aranish Army ready on my desk by 10.00 P.M.”

Dana stared at it with wide eyes. It was already 5.30 P.M. and the Midsummer speech was at six. No way could she have it wrapped in such a short time, and afterward would be too late. If she went she would be placed ahead of the crowd, with the other Commanders, meaning she would not be able to escape discreetly before the bonfire was over, by nine at best. She had to skip it. So much for meeting Jan.

She sent him an apologetic email by reflex, then realized he would not get it before the event, as he was probably busy ordering his unit in the yard right now. She shrugged. At least he’d be able to see she had tried.

She stretched warily in her seat. After sitting there most of the day, her limbs felt stiff. She decided to grab a snack and a hot drink, in the hope that the short stroll to the canteen and the energy boost would increase her efficacy.

Back with the food she immersed herself in her work, with no time to waste.

It wasn’t long before she heard someone banging on the door. Cringing, she ignored them, wishing they would go away. She was not supposed to be in her office at that time anyway. But they went on and on, until it dawned on her that it might just be Jan getting worried.

“Come on Mother Hen,” she started, moving to the door and opening it, “I’m a grown up now…”

She never finished that sentence. Out of nowhere, a hand grabbed her neck and threw her face first on the floor. Her chin made hard contact with the lava stones, reverberating the shockwave in her skull, and she lay there stunned for a few seconds. She came around feeling something heavy on her back, pinning her to the ground. Her jaw was hurting like hell and her hands were stuck in her back.

“Good girl, don’t resist, you’ll like it you know, they all do”, a slurred voice said in her ear, carrying a strong smell of alcohol.

Dana cursed herself. How could she have been so careless? She didn’t even ask who was at the door before opening. She felt a clumsy hand fumble with her belt, pulling on it. Her aggressor was mumbling to himself:

“Where does that thing open already? It should be here…”

Gosh, the man was seriously intoxicated, looking for a flap in her back! A luck the fabric was so thick, it would not tear easily. She listened more carefully, the voice sounded familiar.

“Come on Commander, help me on this, I must do it…”

That’s when she recognized it. Pietr Vlassov! What on Earth went through the idiot’s tiny brain? He was a man-whore, not a rapist!

Her head was pounding, impairing her thinking. She closed her eyes in an attempt to focus. That was bad. Even drunk, he remained a seasoned soldier, much stronger than her. Of course she was faster and better with weapons, but her swords were sitting in her office and she would gladly switch her speed for his muscles right now. Her only chance was to reach the daggers in her boots, which was impossible in her current position. Trashing around wouldn’t help either, he wouldn’t loose his grip but might just opt to knock her out. Definitely not a good day! She seemed to have a lot of these lately.

A wave of disgust shook her. There had to be a way, she was absolutely not going to end up raped by such a lowlife. What did he say? “I must do it?” And he tried to convince her to give in. That was weird, as if he felt guilty and trapped. Maybe she could use this.

Relaxing her body, she cooed:

“Pietr, is that you? I thought you didn’t like me, I’m so happy you changed your mind!”