Chapter 21 Friendly Explanation

“Have a seat Commander Sand!”

Dana complied uncomfortably, wondering what was the reason behind this emergency meeting called by General Andersen.

He stood menacingly, towering over her across his desk:

“Can you explain me the strange mails I received this morning? One came from the Council with a copy of a letter by Ray Powers demanding your immediate release from the Army into his care, stating that he has proof that you lost your virginity by assaulting a masseur in the Baths. Then I have a note from my old friend Liam O’Brien informing me that you have moved in with him at his request. And finally, Ethan Sand is asking me to intervene in some duel his headache of a daughter got herself involved in, telling me that you witnessed the whole scene and can confirm her version. Do you realize that my whole job doesn’t revolve around you?”

Dana shifted in her chair. She had seen it coming, but didn’t expect to get it all once.

“Well Sir, about Ray Powers…”

She told him all about the previous failed attempt and the events in the Baths.

“The blood on the towel is not mine Sir, it can easily been demonstrated with a basic microscope; and the masseur can confirm my version.”

The Whites’ blood was literally swarming with nanites, when only a few of them wandered in ordinary Sha’tans’ blood; there was no mistaking one for the other.

The General seemed to relax a little:

“You might still have to get yourself examined to ascertain it,” he remarked.

She cringed but nodded.

“Why didn’t you come to me after the first attack? I would have done something.”

“With all due respect Sir, you wouldn’t. There is no direct link between Powers and my attackers, he made darn sure of that. The evidence is only circumstantial. If you were to go to the Council with it, they would laugh at you.”

“You are right,” he sighed, “although… I might still report the whole story to Lord Chen, I have heard rumours about a fight between Powers and him, he might be able to calm him down.”

“Thank you Sir. Now about Liam O’Brien, we have been working on a common project for a while, and after Power’s last actions, he decided that I’d rather use his guest room than risk another stunt being pulled on me at night. He is a honourable man and is dating my friend Kate; he would never consider cheating on her with me and I wouldn’t allow it. He is just overprotective, I guess.”

General Andersen smiled; he knew Liam fairly well and would certainly not imagine questioning his motivations.

“Fine. But what is the story with your cousin? According to her, she suffered an attempted rape by Lieutenant Heffson, and when she went to confront him he called a duel upon her and refused to accept you as a champion. What is the truth in that?”

Dana rolled her eyes:

“Edina is a compulsive liar, her parents are the only ones blind to it. Commander Bashir investigated her complaint and discovered evidence of her version being vastly exaggerated. He therefore punished her and she was furious. She stumbled upon Lieutenant Heffson in the yard soon after, and gravely insulted him. He called a duel and she accepted, thinking that I would be the one fighting it, and got very upset when she discovered I couldn’t, as she was the offender. So of course she ran to cry in Daddy’s lap…”

“I see. And what will be the consequences if she looses?”

“You must mean when she looses, Sir; Edina is useless with a sword. She accused Jan Heffson of impotence, Sir, he asked that she helped him to refute it, in public.”